Monday, December 08, 2008

AIFF - Andrew Okpeaha MacLean Workshop Video

Well, it turned out I needed to shut off my computer and reboot to get my iMovie and Quicktime back in synch. But I wasn't sure, so I only used a couple of clips from the workshop here. I try not to think about the fact that filmmakers might be looking at these videos. But that though slipped into my consciousness, so let me just say I'm doing these with a Canon Powershot digital camera that has a video option, built in mic, etc. And doing quick edits - when my computer isn't fussing - to get these up in a few hours. And I believe in available light rather than flash. I also see myself as shooting as a member of the audience rather than as a reporter moving up in front of the crowd. So that's why there are some pretty dark images in some of the videos. And while this one is a little dark, at least Andrew stood in the spotlight.

Andrew's film Sikumi, which won a Jury Award at Sundance, will play again on Saturday, 12/13 at 12:45 at the Bear Tooth as part of Snowdance Shorts. He showed two other short films he made as a film student. The first is about a father teaching his son how to hunt seal in Barrow. The second takes a traditional Inupiaq story and puts the main character, a mad shaman, in New York City, where Andrew was a film student. You can see the other upcoming workshops here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.