Monday, April 26, 2010

Local Housing

We're staying in Southwest Berlin, a quiet suburb with trees and parks.  As I said yesterday, the housing complex we're staying in with my daughter was built as low income housing in the 1920s.  Today, the sky was grey and by afternoon it was raining.  But I walked M to her office in the morning and took pictures of the neighborhood on my way home. 

Americans often believe they have the highest standard of living.  These are, I'm sure, better than average homes, but neither is this Beverly Hills either. 

This is where M goes everyday to work on her dissertation and meet with other international fellows to discuss her work and theirs.

This is the old building next door.


Here's the mailman.  I wonder how much energy the US would save if the mail carriers using vehicles converted to bikes where it was feasible.

I tried to discuss Berlin fashion yesterday.  And there are people in some of the pictures in earlier posts.  I wouldn't say this woman was typical, neither would I say she was unusual.

And now starts some of the houses on my walk back.




Yesterday, a lot trees, like this one, finally had their leaves open.

This is a playground.

I'm not sure if this is apartments or condos.

I'm guessing this is a hooded crow, but there are lots of kinds of crows. There are also some very big pigeon like birds with rings around the neck and white bars on their wings.  Haven't been able to get a good picture yet.





This place had six different mailboxes.



This appears to be two separate dwellings.






And this is the park we walked across on the way.

3 comments:

  1. The lady seems to be normal to me and our postmen are similar to him.
    He is a Hungarian postman:
    http://www.mcpoffice.ro/eloado_kepek/kep1908.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your travels and
    experiences. Viewing these photos
    and reading your observations brightens
    my day. Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ropi,maybe he got lost and ended up in Berlin.

    Rita, glad you like them. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.