Tuesday, March 09, 2010

New Snow and LOTS OF WIND

We woke up Monday to more snow than there's been since we got here mid January. That isn't saying a lot, but for the first time there was snow on the walkway from our front door to the gate to the street, so I shoveled it, well scraped it off is probably more accurate.

This picture was still from inside and eating breakfast.


And this is on the way to work. I've got a picture of this 
lawn almost green a couple of weeks ago.

And the totems were dusted too.



J had tutored at a housing project on Douglas Island. It's really not that far - maybe a mile and a half - but I suggested she take a bus back because it was so windy. It says 'gusts up to 50 mph.' But she wanted to get her walk in, so I started out to meet her. This view is from the bridge over Calhoun near the Fifth Street stairs. You can see the water in the channel. Then I got into wind that definitely required conscious attention to stay upright. I haven't figure out how to photograph the wind, except for flags.  Today needed a video and audio, but even then the full effect wasn't visible in the branches of the trees. An example:  a light wind can lift a baseball cap fairly easily, but I had to hold on to my knit wool cap because I could feel it being tugged off. 


Fortunately, it was warm enough that the slush on the sidewalks was more soft than icy. J said, and I surely believe it, that the wind had been worse crossing the bridge.

A good thing about not having a car is that you aren't even tempted not to walk on days like this. We definitely get more every day exercise than at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.