Friday, December 05, 2014

AIFF 2014: Molly McGlynn - Given Your History - US Premiere in Anchorage

Every year I try to be organized in my preparation for the Anchorage International Film Festival, and it just doesn't happen.  There are too many films playing over the week.  And it turns out this isn't a bad thing.  Serendipity plays a big role.  I run into someone who strongly recommends I see something, or I talk to a film maker and I want to see their film after hearing them talk about it.

And here's a film maker I was able to contact and interview via Skype.  Her film was already on my list to see, but now I want to see it even more.

It's only showed publicly twice - both in Molly's native Canada.  Sunday afternoon will be the US premiere.  Actually, the outside of Canada, World Premiere.

"Given Your History" is about two sisters who get together some time after their mom has died of cancer and they are considering their own danger from cancer "given their history."  Molly points out that she didn't want to do another film about someone who is dying of cancer.  Rather, she says, this is a more hopeful look at the aftermath of the cancer on the daughters.

With the festival starting today, these posts are going to get quick and dirty, as I post on the fly, and minimally edit any video I get.  Note - this was a Skype video and I was in a coffee shop.  And I didn't mean to record the little window with me in it, but it's done and time's getting tight.  Also, the video is a little dodgy because the Skype connection wasn't terrific



Here's the schedule for this film from Festival Genius.  It plays in the Global Village narrative shorts program which has three other shorts that are 'in competition' for awards.  [I've done another post on all the short narrative films in competition.]

3:00 PM     Sun, Dec 07
screens with...
Alaska Experience Theatre - Large Theatre+ add to cal
7:30 PM     Thu, Dec 11  (AK Exp - Small)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.