Sunday, December 07, 2014

AIFF 2014: Khalil Sullins, Director of "Listening"

This is the kind of thing that happens at the film festival all the time.  I meet a director and actor and I end up seeing their film instead of what I had planned.  In this case, Saturday afternoon, I had an hour before Rocks in My Pocket began nearby at the museum.

So after making this very brief video, I went in to see 'Listening' - a feature I knew nothing about, except someone had told me it was good.  It's also Khalil's first feature.


So I decided to at least see the beginning.  

It starts out with a young man sweating his way through a Cambodia forest until he reaches a remote temple where he meets the head monk (or at least a monk who spoke English) and says he needs to gain self discipline because he's done something very bad.  Then we cut back to, well, I don't want to tell you too much.  Let's just say two young men are experimenting with brain reading technology.  What I saw was reasonably well done and I wanted to stay, but I knew it would be playing again -   And I'm planning to go see the rest of it tonight:

Sunday, Dec. 7, 8pm Bear Tooth

Here's the festival's  description  of Listening.

[There are going to be a few of these quick and dirty videos.  I was on my way to another film, and in all but one case, hadn't seen the film yet.  I wanted to give you a chance to see and hear the filmmaker, but didn't have the time to push for more than their canned quick "my film in 30 seconds' speech.  I'll get better stuff up during the week when the films are only in the evening.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.