Thursday, August 06, 2009

Short Hike in Eagle River



I had to get back for a 2pm dental appointment to get my teeth cleaned, so DZ got up about 9:20am - his earliest morning so far - so we could get out to Eagle River for a short hike first. It had rained much of the night and the clouds were still heavy and dripping a bit.




Here's a view from the viewing platform on the Rodak Trail, right near the visitors' center.





Is there a pink birch species?

The trouble with google is that as soon as I type a question like that, I have no excuse for not looking it up.

"Pink Birch • Schizomeria serrata

Pink Birch is the common name for a number of species which form a medium to large tree throughout the region from New Guinea, Bismarck Archipelago to North Queensland and the Solomon Islands. It occurs in lowland and montane forest. In the Solomon islands, it is represented by only one species, generally scattered but locally common. Small sawn parcels could be made available by special order. [From SolomonTimbers - a pdf.]
I think our trees are probably a totally different species since they live in the cold and these are from warm regions.



Red Bubble writes about pink birch bark, but those are pink from the winter morning sun.

There's a soda called pink birch beer in Scottsdale, Arizona.



We walked on to Rapids Camp where we looked at the yurt, but since there was obviously someone inside, we went down to see the rapids.

And we got back in time to get the things on the Costco list (lots of milk for Dick and he got some pizza) and for me to drop him and the food off at home while I biked back to the dentist. And running up the five flights of stairs, I got to the waiting room out of breath, but a minute early. But Diane gave me a bad time for sitting in a corner where I wasn't easy for her to see. She continued to pick on me while she cleaned my teeth. Which is consistent with the sign on her wall.

[If you enlarge the list, you can see that the author and artist was Janet Casoy.]

2 comments:

  1. It is a bit similar to the Croatian Krka National Park with the difference that in Croatia the trees were deciduous while these seem to be coniferous/ evergreen but I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like female dental assistants. In general, they have to be chatty. My dentist likes my business so he has a male assistant who works on all of us. He actually is talkative, but he has cool stories and doesn't ask US questions. . . like how big our house is, what my husband does, how many kids to a room, how we afford getting them all is sports, etc. He just got accepted into dental school, but he will be coming home every Christmas and summer and we have cleanings for this winter and next summer scheduled with him. He has pictures from his patients on is wall and I drew him one-- mine is the best and I am the oldest patient who has drawn him a picture! (It is on an envelope.)

    I've always wondered about the pink on birch trees. I did not know it was a sun burn.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.