Monday, August 24, 2009

Julie & Julia is a Blogging Movie

I almost didn't go. Listening to Julia Child on television was like listening to fingernails on the blackboard for me. Fortunately, Meryl Streep's version of Julia Child didn't quite capture her voice.

I thought it was going to be a movie about cooking, but it was really (you know I almost never say what things are 'really' because I know we each take our own meaning from things, but in this case it really - tongue firmly in cheek -) is about blogging. This is the first mainstream Hollywood movie that I recall that is about a blogger blogging from the beginning to the end. (OK, I know people will suggest three or four others. Sleepless in Seattle [You've Got Mail, thanks SCWG] was about AOL mail. And email has played a role in a lot of movies. But blogging being a central activity?)

I did know about the blog, and I even visited it a couple of times, but I didn't think the movie would spend as much time on her blogging as it did on her cooking. And it resonated here - especially when her husband told her she was way more wrapped up in the blog and than in him. J and I both laughed. That kind of laugh where hers means 'gotcha' and mine means 'guilty.'

Damn, she worked a full time job, took the subway home, shopped for dinner, cooked one, two, or three of Julia Child's recipes, blogged, and started over again the next day. Ahh, to be young again.

Bloggers out there, go see this movie - with your spouse or significant other. Eat before you go though.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to see Julia and Julie. I love anything that Meryl Streep does, and I do think Julia Child had a very interesting life. I wanted to be a spy when I was 12 or 13. I think you are thinking of "You've Got Mail" being about AOL, not "Sleepless in Seattle". Both did have Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction SCWG, of course, and you were kind enough to give me a little cover by pointing out they had the same actors. Let me go up and fix it.

    And Streep was good, but I've seen in her so many films that whatever I see her in, Streep is there as well as the character she's playing. Ideally the actor disappears and you only see the character.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.