Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Primrose Campground Wet Mushroom Walk

I'm using "A picture is worth a thousands words" here. DZ and I went to Seward Sunday afternoon. Actually we stopped about 17 miles shy of Seward and camped at Primrose Campground. It was grey, but we took the trail head for about an hour before dinner. There's a reason these places are called rain forests. So here are some views, mostly of mushrooms. Then yesterday we went kayaking for three hours in the morning in Seward, had lunch with a former student who lives in Seward, then hiked to the edge of the Harding Icefield in the afternoon. This post is basically Primrose.

But, before you get there... In April, the Seward Highway was closed just below Moose Pass for a weekend + while they built a new bridge.

So, here's the new bridge.

But what wasn't clear, is that just before that bridge (if you're headed to Seward) is another bridge that is down to one lane with stoplights on both sides. It would seem that this is a basic infrastructure issue that should have been taken care of too. Will it be like this all winter?

Anyway, we got to Primrose and found a nice campsite along the river and took off on the Lost Lake trail. It was already 6pm, threatening to rain, and the trail was pretty muddy, so this was just a before-dinner stroll. And I'll let the pictures tell most of the story. At least what I saw.

Here's DZ on the trail.

Watermelon berries.


Most of these mushrooms I just can't identify
(and so we didn't add any to dinner),so you'll just have to
enjoy their beauty or weirdness without labels.

The blueberry I can id.

And I know this is a shelf mushroom, but not what kind.








After dinner, we walked over to the lake - this is the southern tip of Kenai Lake. The clouds were low, to say the least. And it started to rain finally.

The next morning - yesterday - the clouds had lifted
quite a bit as we headed to Seward.

4 comments:

  1. When Gene and I visited friends in Lithuania, the first thing we did was go out into the woods and pick mushrooms. Lithuanians absolutely love them and know them very well. And my goodness, the variety of tastes to find in these simple foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last photo. Alaska must be a very tranquill place. I desire to live a calmer place than Budapest.

    A picture is worth a thousands words was used as a campaign slogan in an advertisement but it was about chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spider we is my favourite out of all of these. I am so glad that I have found your blog!

    I took the kids to Hatcher Pass this past weekend after church and we picked blueberries. I shoudl have weighed them first as I would like to know how much they ate! They consumed copious amounts! The rain was on the watermelon berries and my six year old was REALLY enjoying this and slurping off the water. She wanted me to bottle the rain water for her to drink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did get seriously into mushrooms one very rainy summer years ago, and my field guide to mushrooms is helpful in figuring out what to eat. But it takes a while to find things in it. And I don't have much extra of that at the moment.

    Ropi, we can get to calm and tranquil places like this easily. But wherever there are people, there is contention too.

    "A picture is worth a thousand words" is a common expression in English. The ad campaign for chocolate just borrowed it as did I.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.