Saturday, August 15, 2009

Odds and Ends

My daughter returned home on Wednesday night, but we did get some alone time together on a hike on the Wolverine Peak trail. We didn't have time to go all the way to the top, but it was a good time on a trail we've hike since she could walk. Here's the creek at the bridge.







And the view of Anchorage from what used to be pretty much the end of the tree line.









We had dinner at the Greek Corner before heading to the airport. You have until the end of the month to eat at the "old" Greek Corner before they move. There is something about this building and the insides that just doesn't feel like being in a strip mall in Anchorage. (In part because you aren't) And the wait service has personality and know what they are doing. They'll have more space at the new place on Northern Lights across from Blockbusters, and apparently they will have all the old decorations, but I'll miss this unique spot.





DZ and I encountered these guys racing around Valley of the Moon Park in these giant balls.




















And here's a license plate (and frame) of interest we passed in a UAA parking lot.

[UPDATE: August 28, 2009: I saw this license plate yesterday in the Title Wave parking lot. How many of these are out there?]

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, you haven't mentioned your daughter, have you? My mother's uncle arrived to Hungary on last Saturday. He is living in Danmark for decades. I haven't been there though.

    He is the only one in my family who lives abroad and I know. My grandmother's someone lives in the US and my dad's someone lives in France but I don't know them, moreover I have heard about them once in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I minimize mentions of my children here. Only things totally neutral. For more I try to get their permission first. The same generally holds for friends. They - kids and friends - are more way more important than the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, I'm posting an e-note here on your very appropriately titled 'Odds and Ends'. I commented on the ADN story regarding Sullivan and a possible veto. Unfortunately, as you will see by the reply to my post, it didn't have quite the desired effect I was hoping for with some of the gentle readers...

    And so goes the business of trying to comment on the world!

    ---
    My post: ukalaska wrote on 08/17/2009 01:50:37 AM:

    Well, someone needs to say it, so I will. Mayor Sullivan, you know the Irish who fled to America faced discrimination based on deeply held religious 'beliefs'. Of course, it was all chalked up to those many 'undesirable traits' of the Irish. You own a pub, don't you? But never mind that.



    My partner, Gene, has an Irish passport and it’s why we can live in the UK today. The Irish had a hard time of it here, you know. But so did gay people. There were laws that denied gay people military service, couldn't marry, couldn't hold civil service jobs, arrested even for loving one another. That’s why LGBT people are protected against discrimination now, just as the Irish are, because of that sort of thing.



    Funny though. All that happened in America too. It seems some folk just don’t get the connection, but I know you must. Good day to you. –Jay Dugan-Brause, Anchorage resident 1959-2006

    ----

    And the reply post: sbellm wrote on 08/17/2009 02:44:18 AM:

    ukalaska: this is not an Irish issue. If you are happy where you are - God bless. I am not against gays et.all - we all have you in our circles of friends - I'm serious.

However, I view this as an attack on my God given right to chose - just like you have the right to chose. I trust you can understand this.

As for Sullivan owning a pub - that has always stuck in my craw. Imagine his stroke of luck at securing the location - while he was on the Assembly - next to the premier spot in Anchorage. Jerk job!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.