Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Would Anyone Be Troubled if They Had to Vote in a Mosque?


We had a mayoral runoff election in Anchorage yesterday. My polling place is in a church. As I walked in to the building, the door was open into the sanctuary with all the religious trappings appropriate for a church.

But is it appropriate to have to enter a religious house of worship to vote in a government election in a country where people are supposed to be free to worship or not as they choose? Since most Americans are Christians, perhaps they don't understand how a non-Christian feels having to pass all those religious symbols in order to vote.

So how many Christians would be completely comfortable walking into a mosque with all its religious symbols on full display as you pass by to vote? And then I had to be reminded again as I put my ballot into the ballot box.

I don't have a problem going into a church to attend a wedding or even as a guest at a service. But I'd like my civic obligations in more secular settings. Like the fire station across the street where we voted for years and years. Now that they've torn down the old station and built a new one, perhaps we can move back there.

At least I have the options of absentee or early voting.

5 comments:

  1. Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s.

    The real question is, are we pissing God off by holding our corrupt political contests in His house of worship? Only a blaspemous heretic would allow such desecration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But is it really "First Church of God"? I did not know THAT happened in Anchorage. Where/how did the church get it's name? And I totally agree with your point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got it. I remember in 1998 when Gene and I had to go to our local polling place (which is a church). It was a church which had a national position against marriage equality for gay people--most did and still do.

    Religious symbols weren't the problem; it was that this church was partisan on the ballot question of constitutionally sanctioning my civil rights.

    That was not a moment lost on us. And so many, many people didn't get it when we explained how we felt. We realized it was just another 'welcome to your minority life'...

    There couldn't be too much more glaring example of impressing the church on the state's civic process. No signs, no literature, just thousands of years of hostility to your existence... and Welcome voters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evil, good point.
    Adam, I took the picture of the ballot box after putting my ballot in.
    Jay, When your in the dominant culture, there's a lot of you don't see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great point Steve. There is a bit of irony at play when Christians have no problem voting in christian places of worship. However, throw them in a mosque or synagogue and you would probably have them crying foul.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.