Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mischievous Technology Tricks

Last night at a talk, I took three video clips. The first one was fine (well, fine for a small digital camera in a room with a thin sound system.) The second clip had a strong buzz, like the camera had a motor, which blocked what I was trying to record. And the third clip was fine again. This has never happened before on this camera and I have no idea why this happened. I certainly didn't hear any difference in the room and I don't think I did anything different.

Then this morning I turned on the AM/FM receiver (yes I know I'm still in the dark ages) and got this:




I'm sure you're saying, "yeah, so what?" Well, the light in there has been off for at least six months or more. We've learned to find channels without seeing any sort of information. We were resigned to the slow deterioration of our sound source. We didn't know it was just on vacation. Again, we didn't move anything, didn't try anything new or different. It just turned on today after months of black.

5 comments:

  1. Ghost in the machine, Steve. But what do I know?

    Oh, have you looked in the sky tonight? A friend in Anchorage sent me photos of a rather spectacular Aurora going on right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just went out. Saw a few stars and got cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right. I am not very fascinated. In Hungary you have this in every car, why is it from the "dark ages"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ropi, what I meant was that we have, in our house, a tuner that must be 20 years old. Not digital. Not only do we still play CD's, but also audio tapes and long playing records from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we have some Soviet stuff at home still. We used to have Lada (car) for example which I very much liked.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.