Monday, November 05, 2007

Blog Meets Radio - KSKA Tuesday at 10am

Should I mention this in the blog? Well, my goal here was to learn about blogging. As a result of blogging the trials my blog got more attention than it ever had with pictures of mushrooms and birds. Enough that Steve Heimel invited me to be a guest on Talk of Alaska tomorrow for the topic: Blogging the Political Trials. I'm not sure who all else is on the panel, but I think Phil Munger of USAvVictor H. Kohring will be. I hope Kyle Hopkins the ADN blogger will be there too.

My friends avoid me these days. For some reason they don't think blogging and political trials should be the only topic of discussion. So it's not that I will run out of things to say. My concern now is saying things important. Writing is a much easier format for me. I can spell check it and go back and edit it until I'm happy with it. But talking live on air - no second chances.

This summer has seen a real transformation of the Anchorage Daily News' use of the web. After the Anderson trial, their attorney convinced the judge to require the prosecution to distribute the surveillance tapes - audio and video - to the press right after they are shown in court. By the second trial, the ADN's website was full of the tapes, as well as audio recordings of the trial itself made by the court. Some of the audio/visual material have been offered in their entirety, some not. Some have been well organized and described, some not. They've also linked to blogs, including this one, which has markedly increased the daily hits. The hits have gone down after each trial, but to a higher low than before the trial. We'll see how many stick around when I'm not focused so thoroughly on one specific topic of considerable local interest.

Anyway, a number of folks in the rest of the media have been very supportive of my blogging. And this crossing media borders phenomenon will continue tomorrow on 91.1 fm in Anchorage and other public radio stations around the state as blogging itself becomes a news topic.

1 comment:

  1. Listened to your radio "premiere" this morning. Good work! I'd been telling a co-worker about reading your blog, and he came over to my desk to say - "Hey, they're talking to that guy who writes the political corruption blog. Cool!"
    Cool,indeed.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.