Monday, June 15, 2009

Run down to Venice Beach

Today I ran down to Venice Beach. I ran on Half Moon Bay (south of San Francisco) beach on Saturday morning. Venice is my obligatory run whenever I visit my mom in LA. And you could even see Catalina, just barely, on the horizon. I admit it's a leap of faith based on the photo. But it was out there. I did try to play with the contrast to make it more visible in the picture.

It didn't help, but I thought wiping out the contrast offered an interesting picture of the runner.

If you double click the picture and look at your screen from the right angle, you might be able to see the outline of the island. It's only 26 miles away. Makes you appreciate being able to see Denali from Anchorage 150 miles away. You can see it better and listen to the song at this post I did last October.







Here's looking north toward the Santa Monica Mountains. As you can see the surf was decent sized today.





Here's another picture of the surf with a couple people in front to get a sense of the waves.

And as I left the beach for home I passed this sign at a pre-school. I realized that I agreed with the sign and that our country has weirded out enough that there are people who would be disturbed by this sign. Like people opposing the ordinance before the Anchorage Assembly offering equality (freedom from discrimination) to gays, lesbians, and transgendered folks.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting that Americans steal all the city names from Europe or from Native Americans. I am talking about Venice beach.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.