Saturday, November 20, 2021

Anchorage International Film Festival (AIFF2021) Dec 3-12 - Hybrid Live/Online

There are lots of details here that make it difficult to  report this clearly and painlessly.  And there are various loose ends that need to get mentioned somehow.  I've been working on this for close to a week now.  My approach is to do this on several levels of detail.  Sort of a USA Today synopsis, then maybe a Daily News type overview, and then a trip into the basement where you can see all the moving parts.  I'm hoping that will allow people with different attention spans and different levels of interest to get the gist, if not the grist, of what happened.

There's now an AIFF page where ticket holders and members can log in.  But it doesn't say how to get tickets or become a member. 



OK, I put in the email address I used last year and it got me to a page where I could buy passes. If you didn't get a pass last year, you might try clicking the forgot button and see if it will get you in. There's a household pass (which I bought) for $150 and what I guess is an individual pass for $100.  Both say for online viewing only, not for in person events.  

Then I was able to go back to that page (above) and sign in and get to the AIFF page 



And I've also gone to the Facebook page.  (Wear a mask there)  Just to wet your appetite, I found the list of the features.  Features are longer films (generally over 50-60 minutes).  Documentaries are non-fiction and Narrative are fiction.  

The FEATURE FILMS you can watch at the festival in December are:
DOCUMENTARY FEATURES
80.000 Schnitzel • Hannah Schweier • Germany
A Sexplanation • Alex Liu • USA
Captive • Mellissa Fung • Canada
From the Hood to the Holler • Pat McGee • USA
I'm Wanita • Matthew Walker • Australia
Newtok • Andrew Burton & Michael Kirby Smith • USA
Not About Me Documentary • Kelly Milner • Canada
On These Grounds • Garrett Zevgetis • USA
Out Loud • Gail Willumsen • USA
Run Raven Run • Michael Rainin • USA
Scrum • Thomas Morgan • USA
The Art of Sin • Ibrahim Mursal • Norway
The form • Filip Flatau • France
NARRATIVE FEATURES
18½ • Dan Mirvish • USA
Atlas • Niccolò Castelli • Switzerland
Christmas Freak The Movie • Sean Brown • USA
Culpa • Ulrike Grote • Germany
Everything in The End • Mylissa Fitzsimmons• Iceland/USA
Landlocked • Tim Hall (Timothy Hall) • USA
Lune • Aviva Armour-Ostroff & @Arturo Perez Torres • Canada
Tall Tales • Attila Szász • Hungary
The Wanderers • Hwang Lee • Korea
We're All In This Together • Katie Boland • Canada


Just looking through the list I see two familiar names:

Dan Mirvish - 18 1/2 - had a film - Between Us - in the 2013 festival.  He didn't come to the festival but I interviewed him via Skype and ended up with a rather long (for me) 17 minute video which you can see below.  In 2017 he came to the festival and did a stimulating workshop.

 
 

Another film - Tall Tales - is by Attila Szász, who has had two gorgeous films in prior festivals.  The Ambassador to Bern in 2014 and Demimonde.   both won the top prize for Narrative Features.  Below is the Skype interview I did with Szász in 2014.  I'm looking forward to the new film.




 


This is much more fun and much easier than the Redistricting Board.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.