Friday, October 15, 2021

Tomatoes And Other Odds And Ends





Red tree and clouds.  A bit of urban natural beauty.  





Here are some of the tomato seedlings last April 20.  Tomatoes don't do well in Alaska.  It has to stay above 50˚F (10˚C) at night for them to bear fruit.  But I found a sub-arctic variety that was supposed to bear down to 40˚F.  I left some inside by a south facing window, put some in the greenhouse in the backyard, and left one outside.  The one outside had the strongest plant - it had a sturdy stem, didn't get all leggy, and had lots of flowers and a dozen or more little tomatoes.  The ones inside (the house and the backyard greenhouse) also did well, but were not very strong.  They grew much taller and needed lots of stakes to keep them from falling over, or worse, breaking.  But we have been getting cherry size tomatoes since early September.  But then I decided I needed to bring them in when we had snow warnings.  So here are some I picked the other day.  Some are the smallest tomatoes I've ever seen - pea size.  


I enjoyed my tomato plants this summer, but it also proved my basic sense of tomatoes in Alaska - they aren't worth the effort.  I'd rather spend the time of plants that reward more spectacularly without all the work.  I still have some plants inside by the windows with small green marbles and lots of yellow flowers.  Let's see how many tomatoes we end up with.  I'd say we've had maybe 20, but not a lot in total volume.  


So when I made a couple of breads yesterday - the sour dough starter wants me to use it at least every two weeks - I made one rosemary/olive bread and one tomato/basil.  One gets eaten right away, the other goes in the freezer.  I wanted to try the tomato bread since I've never made one before, but I sliced the wrong one, so I'll have to wait a week to learn how it came out. 


 I really wanted to get the shiny asphalt covered apparatus at the back of this truck, but I was on my bike and he was moving.  But I had to settle for the wet new layer in the street.  


I decided I would like a wall with this wall paper in one room


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.