Saturday, April 07, 2012

Labor Sacrifices, Not Executives - Nothing New


"I cannot escape the feeling that the tendency so far has been to say that labor must make sacrifices of wages and hours because of necessities of national defense.  I have yet to see anywhere a statement that manufacturers and business concerns . . .  shall make this same type of sacrifice by cutting profits and reducing the salaries of executives."




Sound familiar? 

This is from Doris Kearns Goodwin's No Ordinary Time, which I'm reading again for my next book club meeting. (Previous posts based on the book about the creation of lend lease and Hitler's first (and last) visit to Paris.) I took a break to finish Dirt Music, which deserves at least a post, beyond the one I did about Australian camels and Saudi Arabia.  

The quote comes from Eleanor Roosevelt's newspaper column, "My Day", December 9, 1940.

The book is hefty - 633 pages - but riveting.  I've got 400+ pages to go by April 30. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.