"According to many tales a vampire will cast no reflection when in front of a mirror; in addition, a vampire's image can not be caught on film. So what then of digital cameras?But I frequently warn readers not to believe everything they read online. In fact, this post is made possible by recent advances in vampirology and in technology. It's been discovered that vampires actually have a negative soul. (Sorry, the link keeps crashing, and as you read on, you'll understand why.) That vampire knowledge along with new technology that can find the vampire traces left in old photos, allows historians to reprocess historical pictures (and even drawings) to reveal the vampires who were actually there all along. This process is not yet available to the public, but through a friend of a friend, I was able to give them five photos and one picture. That's all I can tell you.
Before we tackle that question, we should first know why the myth exists in the first place. Mirrors were thought to show a person's soul. As a vampire has no soul (unless he is Angel) we must logically conclude that there will be no reflection. The same hold true for film and photographs - they too were thought to be creating an image of the soul. (Interestingly enough, some people were even afraid to have a picture taken of them, for fear of having their soul stolen!)
Based on these assumptions we must then conclude that a vampire would not show up in a picture taken by a digital camera for any mechanical device that reproduces an image of a being is actually only capturing their essence or soul. " (From Everything2)
The most successful of the ones I submitted has to be this Timber Vampire picture. I used an historical photo I got from
AlaskaNativeStudies. Other images came back looking like shoddy photoshopped work. But the technology is in its infancy. Additional sources for this and the other images are at the bottom.
Of course, we all know that famous phrase, often attributed to Churchill, "History is written by the victors." And so it is, that while vampires have been involved in much of world history, they have done a great job in scrubbing their malicious presence from the history books. Of course, vampires do not die of natural causes, so they live a very long time. That gives them a great advantage over humans. They understand the rhythms of history. They understand the weaknesses of human beings. And they exploit them with deadly precision.
Currently Alaska is under a massive vampire attack as they use every trick in their arsenal to get Alaska voters to vote no on Prop 1. This proposition would overturn SB 21 that gives oil companies a huge tax break and cuts the benefits Alaskans would get from their ownership of state oil. It's vastly complicated and in this post I just want to put this particular human/vampire encounter into the context of the vampire history of Alaska.
The basic pattern of vampire invasion of Alaska goes like this:
- The vampires sense an Alaskan resource is currently worth exploiting.
- They use any means necessary. Earliest attempts used great violence, but that was before Alaska was well connected to the world and before media covered what was happening.
- they use the legal process to lay claim to resources
- they disguise themselves inside corporations
- they infect a select and useful group of Alaskans such as legislators, business people, Republicans, and media to work for them
- they brain wash as many of the remaining Alaskans as possible to believe the vampire corporation(s) is
- creating jobs,
- bringing wealth to Alaska,
- retrieving natural resources critical to US security
- that anyone opposing them is a communist, liar, environmentalist, or a combination of all the evil terms their focus groups discover, and
- those evil opponents' agenda is to destroy Alaska and the civilized world
- they cause discord between urban and rural, Alaska Native and Non Native, public employees and private employees, etc.
- they deviously convince the poor and undereducated that the interests of the rich are their interests
- they destroy the land, the water, the flora, the fauna to get what they want as cheaply as possible
- they get their infected legislators to pass laws to restrict citizen participation, to hamper environmental protections, to build infrastructure needed to exploit the resource
- they sprinkle crumbs from their bloody profits on public buildings and on arts and charities leaving them indelibly marked with their corporate logos
- and they send the blood of Alaska back Outside to their vampire bosses
|Seal Hunter Vampires|
Among the first vampires to come to Alaska were those from Russia who killed seals and otters and Aleuts to enrich themselves in the fur trade.
|Gold Mining Vampires|
Copper mining is another example. In the case above, JP Morgan and the Guggenheim family vampires managed to mine $200 million (1930 dollars) of copper blood out of Alaska. I'd note that I discovered, doing this post, that there's a whole special class of vampire miner that tend to look more like computer game icons:
Vampire Miners appear in cavern-level biomes and follow the Fighter AI. They wear (but do not drop) a Mining Helmet, which provides a small amount of light around them. This light can sometimes reveal sealed caves, much like blooming Blinkroot. Vampire miners can break down doors. Vampire Miners also have a brighter hue of red. Vampire Miners are immune to the Poisoned debuff.
Then there are the fishing vampires who have sucked the fish blood out of Alaska and sent it all Outside. They infected some Alaskans, but many were - and still are - brought in from Outside.
Getting the government to build roads, they clear cut forests, destroyed salmon streams, and generally sent raw timber away to be processed elsewhere.
The largest current vampire invasion has been ongoing for over forty years. The most visible damage of this invasion happened in 1989 in Prince William Sound.
|Exxon Valdez Oil Vampire Work|
Alaska's Current Vampire Threat Level
|Image from here.|
- Alaskans will lose their jobs,
- the oil companies will leave the state,
- oil production will collapse,
- income and sales taxes will be law
- everything that is good in Alaska will disappear.
By Tuesday they'll be telling people Prop 1 will cause guns and penises to stop firing.
Just vampire business as usual in Alaska, as well as in their corporate colonies around the world.
|Image from here.|
If Prop 1 passes, none of those things will happen. ACES will get revised in the next legislative session so that the tax rate at the high end will be adjusted. And there will be enough money in the state budget to support schools and even reformed vampire support groups. Sean, there's a way out. The first step is
"admit to [your]self that something is seriously wrong in [your] life."And where does Sarah Palin fit in here now that she officially supports Prop 1? All I can say is there is a big difference between vampires and zombies.
The Loneliest Vampire
Seal Hunter Vampire:
St. John's College, Cambridge
Gold Miner Vampires:
Copper Miner Vampire: