Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Regular Snowfalls Outside, Things Growing Inside

 My personal trainer is working on my upper body this winter.  It keeps giving a little more snow to shovel four or five times a week.  Today there was about three or four new inches.  

We've also had foggy days.  Which in December, when we get down to five and a half hours or so between sunrise and sunset, makes it seem even darker.  But the snow and ice do such beautiful tricks.  



Here's ice patterns after shoveling the deck.  We'd had a couple days where it got above freezing and then froze again.  I hadn't gotten the snow off the deck, so there was this thin glaze of ice after shoveling.  It should get more focused if you click on it.



And my van was used by the snow as a canvas too.  



And here are some spruce needles holding up a blanket of snow that's turning icy.


Inside, the green stuff continues to give the illusion of a different season.  This is a bromeliad I brought up from my mom's yard where they grow like weeds.  We've had it here maybe 20 years.  It bloomed the first two years, but hasn't since.  I guess I need to check the local bromeliad society to get some tips.  It has offered up new sprouts so now I have three of these.  

But I can't put them where people move back and forth.  The thorns - look closely - are nasty.  




And it's nice that I still have geraniums blooming.


And someone sent us a box of pears.  We've been eating away.  I made a pear omelette and J made a couple of pear tarts.  







2 comments:

  1. 2020 Governor’s Arts and Humanities Awards Winners to Be Honored January 7

    Distinguished Service to the Humanities | Education: Rachel Epstein, Anchorage
    During a tenure that spanned nearly twenty years, Rachel Epstein organized and hosted more than 900 events covering every imaginable and important topic in Alaska’s history and culture. In her tenure as the Special Events Coordinator of the UAA campus, Epstein turned the campus bookstore into a forum for inquiry, conversation, and expression.

    Oliver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oliver, that's great news. Rachel worked tirelessly to put on author talks in the book store for years and years. I attended a number of them and always felt like I learned a lot. Thanks for letting us know.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.