Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Corona Virus View From Seattle -It's Getting Personal

Things have changed radically just since Friday when I took the train down to Vancouver, WA to attend the Citizens Climate Lobby Northwest Regional Conference.  While there hadn't been any questions about not having the conference, we were all introduced to the elbow bump in lieu of shaking hands.  And told to wash our hands regularly.

But since I got back things have gotten noticeably edgier.  Six people have died in Seattle already.  Our daughter declared that she will drive us to the airport tomorrow instead of letting us take public transportation as usual.  While I don't think of myself as elderly, I am in the higher risk age category. What's a little scary about this is that people can carry the virus with few or no symptoms, meaning it can spread much faster and wider than other epidemics.

Then I see this Tweet this morning.
There's a long thread about all her failed attempts to get help.

The basic advice from everyone seems to be to wash your hands and not touch your face.

I didn't understand the power of a sneeze until one day we were outside on a sunny day some distance away and man sneezed.  The sun was just right to light up the arc of droplets that flew from his face out about three feet.  It was about three or four times the size of his head.  The light on the droplets was beautiful if you didn't think about what it was.  And I suddenly understood how easily germs fly from person to person.  I didn't have my camera ready for that moment, but I've looked on line for something similar.  This is the best I can find:


This sneeze is not nearly as beautiful as the droplet waterfall we saw that day, but it gets the point across.  If you don't have a mask, sneeze or cough into your elbow.  Certainly away from other people.

2 comments:

  1. We decided on Sunday afternoon to cancel a long-planned trip to Northern California for a jazz festival, since we were going to fly in and out of San Jose (where there are several confirmed cases) and stay there for at least one night. We cancelled two days before we were to get on the airplane. We were fortunate that with all the advance reservations we had made, we could get out with less than $500 forfeited.

    A few of our friends and family say we most probably could have gone without any problems, but most of them thought we made the right decision.

    I am basically scared crapless about this virus. I think we're in for a really bad time and since my husband and I are both in high-risk age/health groups, we are preparing to hunker down as much as possible.

    I am interested in how this is going to change the nature of the political campaigns this year. What better way to get sick than to shake 1,000 hands a day, kiss a few babies, spend an hour in an auditorium with 15,000 strangers, and eat lunch in a diner where your taco or pierogi was prepared by a worker with no health insurance who can't afford to miss a day of work and is afraid he'll get fired if he stays home, and can't afford to go to the hospital to get tested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to acknowledge this comment but I don't have anything to add. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.