Thursday, April 04, 2019

Internet Archive And Other San Francisco Shots







The other day we passed by the Internet Archive, so yesterday as we passed it again I decided to look in.

A guy named Kevin let me into the lobby, but said tours are only Friday afternoons at 1pm.  So I looked around the lobby.













Nothing fancy here, but this was a basic look at the evolution of ways we document things from uniform to digital storage.

The most interesting things was this contraption, and when Kevin came by again I asked if it was a book digitizer, and he said yes.

One of the things the archive does is called The Wayback Machine.   They digitize books.  They also serve as an archive for websites.  I asked about my blog and he said I could check to see if it was on the Wayback Machine.  (It turns out it is, but I'm not sure every page is.  But lots of it are.)  That led me to finding a site where I could get a list of dead links on What Do I Know?  It looked through 3000 pages (the limit for a free check) and came up with 385 broken links.  Now I have to figure out how to either update them or delete them.

They also have hundreds of thousands of modern books at Open Book.


Here are a few more pictures from our visit.























Some of the agapanthus (Lily of the Nile) are blooming in town.







As are various fruit trees.  A cherry?  I'm not sure.








1 comment:

  1. You must have picked up the Internet Archive vibe in the air; the BBC had this report: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190401-why-theres-so-little-left-of-the-early-internet

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.