Sunday, April 19, 2009

Digital Detox - Monday April 20

I was just thinking this morning that maybe I should have a day a week where I don't touch my computer. (If I were an orthodox Jew I'd already have this on the Sabbath.)

And then I got an email just now with this message:


Computer screens, iPods, TVs, phones and the dozens of other devices we’re cybernetically attached to are so pervasive that we can’t escape them. We live them, we breath them, we need them ... Or do we?

On Monday, April 20, Adbusters challenges you to do the unthinkable: unplug. Say good-bye to Twitter and Facebook. Turn off your TV, iPhone and Xbox. Reconnect with the natural world and the people around you. You’ll be amazed at how the magic creeps back into your life.

Go to www.adbusters.org for inspiration, articles, videos, posters and more. Next Monday, don't be afraid and don't find excuses ... take the plunge and see what happens.

Did that suggest a whole week? I think just one day would make a good start. So, I challenge you to pick one of the next seven days to just shut off everything digital (good thing I still have a turntable) and take in reality without the virtual shield.

Thanks, Jim.

Poster from this Adbuster link.

[For those of you who saw the earlier version of this with the message cut on the right, I just got rid of the box. But if someone would like to suggest a relatively easy way to adjust the code in the box to do the same thing, I'm listening.]

4 comments:

  1. I am taking the challenge:
    I am shutting down all posts. All digital connections.
    I am tried of this Pavolian triggered electrial grid vortex, matrix of programming that seeks to stay connected.
    Maybe it don't matter.
    yes, that is it, so, it is MONK time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this during part of Lent. It was good. I knocked out FACEBOOK completely. I blogged very little. Then Pascha came up and I had to get back on for recipes and support for everything that we do.

    I cleaned my house with an online friend who is an Orthodox Jew and for once being plugged in helped me accomplish more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never in my life watched much TV. it kind of drives me crazy. don't care for commercials much, but also don't like rampant channel surfing. sometimes i sit and watch it with friends and relatives, but it isn't very fulfilling. i do exercise, i read books. i like radio but have a casual and noncommittal relationship. definitely guilty of too much time on the net, but also find it resource rich and love the chance to participate in comments threads. i think cell phones are evil -- don't have one. practically every single urban landscape photo i take these days, i can spot one of those butt ugly cell towers somewhere in the background. we seem to have given short shrift to the effects on the brain and collective hive collapse.
    given all that, unplugging for a day every couple weeks is a great idea, and i am already doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You noted twitter, tweets.
    I have never been into twitter.
    But, here is a good example of a twitter gone
    inebriate.

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/04/15/drinking-and-twittering-poker-brat

    And, a comment going to essence on:
    "prime example of Twitter fulfilling an entertaining purpose. I love it! If Phil wants to invest the time in promoting his "celebrite lifestyle," more power to him. It's funny how Twitter was supposed to be about limiting your thoughts to 140 characters when ultimately when really all it needed was 8: "me me me" (spaced count)

    Limiting ones thoughts(140 characters), is that a mouthful, like serious brain damage can happen in some twitter grids, a few grunts, groans, and the limit.(cave-men on a circuit network)
    Hey, I am plugged into all kind of electric waves, but as to twitter count me out.

    Here, I don't want any limits on thoughts, thinking, that is what I like about this site, it makes people think. Put me down as one of those honery "Annons", and S just as well not worry if some Annon, writes on emotion levels, political levels, intrigue levels, kick-back in public affair levels, etc.
    Tweetering seems like some sheep moron pecking into c-space, It is not my cup of tea, that is one Electro-exercise I will skip.
    At least this site is eye opening, makes one think, explore, and see many perspectives.
    If any want to zone out in some Buddhist Monk ville, hey, do it, I always liked the world interacting with people, and it is more real up live(than any cyber space), but maybe I don't see the deal on twitter, right now it is not appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.