Saturday, September 27, 2008

Life Interferes with Blogging - Fall Colors

Today was Our Time - the rap get out the vote project George Martinez is running. (See previous post.) I'll put up some video of that later, maybe tomorrow. The picture below is almost from the identical spot as the first picture in the previous post. But this morning there was fog burning off.
Then we'd agreed to a hike today with SH so I left Our Time - which had great energy going - and we picked up SH and went to Stuckagain Heights to hike over to the Wolverine Peak Trail. Pictures below. That was followed by a quick dinner at Thai Kitchen and a late, but just in time dash to OutNorth to see Manhattan Film Festival Finalists. So, here's Anchorage in all her glory on an exquisite fall day, that started out with heavy fog.




This is the rock that marks when you've reached tree line on the hike to Wolverine Peak. I've got pictures over the years of the kids sitting on this rock. Since M doesn't get here until Monday, I asked SH to take her place. J was still coming up the hill. You can see downtown Anchorage in the background past the sea of golden birch (mostly.) You can double click to enlarge any of these.


And looking up from the rock.



And there were still some delicious blueberries to be had.


These really are better bigger. Just double click.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Steve. Good to remember these things are there regardless of the latest news headlines.

    Here I walk to my local pocket park and try to gain the sense of peace that comes with expanse and mountains. I close my eyes and remember.

    When Gene and I were in the Yukon last summer, I was so drawn to the land. It feels almost biological in its pull. We'll see if the Nordic countries can help.

    Alaska continues to be off-limits with its political, religious and business culture. On that count, I am so grateful, every day, to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous pic's great autumnal colours :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.