[UPDATE July 9, 2015: Sitemeter has been working again for the last two days for me. It is still going to Vindicosuite and I will be looking at Statcounter as people have recommended when I have a little more time.]
[UPDATE June 30, 2015 10:45pm Alaska Daylight Time: An hour ago I checked Sitemeter and it was still saying to try back in a few minutes. But now there is something back up, but it's still whacked. There are days with way more hits than I ever get and there are days with zero hits. But it's a sign someone is working on it.
OK, back to the original post.]
I signed up for Sitemeter probably back in 2007. At that time it was a one man operation and if I had a question I could email him and get a quick personal response signed by David Smith. It gave me formats for seeing who was visiting my blog that were different from others - more precise and meaningful. It also revealed to me how much data websites get from visitors - ip address, location, kind of computer in detail, search terms, browser, and much more. Not everything from every visitor, but more than most realize.
I've voiced praise and frustration with Sitemeter in the past.
Then at some point Sitemeter apparently was bought by MySpace. Since then things have gone downhill. Reports about MySpace selling information about Sitemeter users would come up. Sitemeter stopped answering any of my help requests or comments.
Recently, something called vindicosuite started showing up and gumming things up. From a google forum:
Mark Liberman said:
I posted about this on Language Log (http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.
x.vindcosuite.com seems to be "passive DNS replicator", which may be performing a genuine function; but apparently buggy software at sitemeter results in pages with sitemeter counting code on them getting redirected there.
I've been seeing intermittent flashes of this sort of thing from sitemeter for over a year, and during that same period of time, the company has failed to respond to repeated questions directed at their "support" team.
As of yesterday evening, the problem was categorical rather than intermittent, so I removed the sitemeter code from the WordPress theme, and the problem went away.
As far as I can tell, this is a symptom of incompetence rather than malice, but in any case, sitemeter is clearly more trouble than it's worth.
Then Sitemeter was down for nearly day and when it returned, it was totally whacked. It would show the same hit 30 or 40 times in my stats. My stats are totally crazy. I'd note that the number of hits Sitemeter tells me I get (generally in the 200 range each day) is wildly different from Google's count of over 1000. But the Sitemeter info on individual hits tells me more about who visits what pages. (No, there are no specific names connected to the visitors, but for some repeat visitors I can tell.)
I'd totally get rid of it, but that just adds one more thing to my todo list - finding another good stat counter. And my todo list is already way too long.