That's the Public Administration Theory Network (PATnet) conference theme this year.
I proposed to the conference organizers that we make this a little more personal - what in public administration stirred our own utopian imaginations? I reasoned:
Most of us in PATnet have either pursued a doctoral degree and/or a career in the academic field of public administration.So I thought it useful to ponder:
- why we have committed so much of our time and abilities to this field
- whether we have found what we were looking for or have been disappointed.
- what we hoped to get in the field when we began,
- what we got, and
- what recommendations we have for people starting out today and for the field of public administration.
I got word that people on the organizing committee liked the idea but didn't know how to fit it into the schedule. Staci Zavataro contacted me about a Tweet Up and as we talked we came up with the idea of an ongoing side conversation before, during, and perhaps, after the conference.
Think of this as a movable session the flows throughout the conference and that people can participate in this session in different ways.
- There's a conference hashtag on Twitter - #PATnet2013.
- The PATnet Facebook page will host some of this.
- You can leave comments here.
- We're looking for help to set up a discussion forum at the PATnet website.
- We're inviting conference attendees to ask these questions of people the meet at the conference during breaks, over meals, in elevators, etc.
- And we're going to set up an informal gathering for those who'd like to get together to follow this pursuit. So far we've discussed a post session/pre-dinner gathering in the hotel lobby one night, but we're open to suggestions.
Meanwhile, you can address the questions or the process in the comments section below this post. (If you're having trouble getting past the spam blocking steps to comment, you can email me)
[NOTE to regular readers of this blog - I'm using my blog to do this because it's something I know how to do to move this along. I hope you'll indulge me.]
[NOTE to PATnet members - we needed a place to point people to and I offered this spot on my personal blog until a more appropriate place can be set up.]