Sunday, August 17, 2008

Renewing Old Ties



Thursday, CY and WF dropped by from the airport on their way to Homer. CY was a professor in my program when I taught a year in Hong Kong 1989-90. He was very excited to hear that an Alaskan was coming because he is a serious fisherman who comes regularly to fish here. We hadn't seen them for quite a long time and though the visit was short it was nice to reconnect and catch up and hear about other faculty in the program.






Friday night after seeing "La Casa de Babys" at the museum - yes those red things in yesterday's post are in front of the museum as several people guessed - we stopped at Barnes and Noble. First I bumped into Darren and then Terry. Terry is a year younger than my son and lived across the street for a while. We hadn't seen him since his parents' 30th (I think) wedding anniversary a few years ago. It was great to see him again and his wife who preferred not having her picture taken. Terry was fine, but the picture is blurred, so above is the picture of them they agreed to.





This afternoon we went to an open house at some friends' place because their daughter and grandson are in town. I've known K for a long time and there were so many people to talk to K and I really only had a few minutes to talk. I'm hoping we'll get another chance before she goes back to LA.





And finally, surpassing even how long it's been since I'd seen Doug, is Harriet. She, her husband, and brother and sister-in-law are here for their Alaska adventure. Harriet was in my Peace Corps group - Thailand 19 - and I haven't seen her since then. She told me to pick a restaurant. How could I not pick the Thai Kitchen to renew old (I won't succumb to that tired pun) ties?


For those of you who thought this was about how to bring your old neckties back to life, I found this video that answers the question of a young man who's facing two years as a missionary in Honduras and says that the rules are that the ties must be conservative, "but nothing says they can't be awesome." The beginning of this video from threadhead shows how to renew those old ties.

1 comment:

  1. Steve, you have the coolest and most fascinating ties!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.