Friday, October 09, 2026

Anchorage Trails Making Biking Spectacular

 I'm close to my summer goal of 1600 kilometers (a bit over 1000 miles.)  Last year I was able to start in March already.  This year even in April the trails still had ice and snow.  And then we took two weeks off to visit family and friends Outside. 

But I'm at 1564km.  The finish line is in sight.  Anchorage bike trails are a big part of why I'm able to do this.  Not only are they car free and go on for miles and miles within the city, but they are beautiful.  So here are a few pictures from the last week.  

This stop at Goose Lake offers a different view every time.  It's also a spot where people feed ducks, so they often come over if someone stops here.  

It had rained during the day, so this was an early evening ride.  



This is the lake at the Waldron Park soccer fields, filled with geese.  I can hear them arguing - "it's time to head south" but the procrastinators are ready to take off yet.  This is on the Campbell Creek South trail, not far from the eastern entrance on 47th Avenue off of Lake Otis.  



Another late afternoon at Goose Lake, a different view altogether.  But the same spot as the first picture.



Thursday I had an 8:30 dental appointment which is on the way to the Campbell Creek South trail.  This time I picked it up off of Tudor and through the neighborhood near Tudor Elementary.  It was about 9:30, overcast and a bit mysterious.  I'm generally on this trail in the afternoon.  But the mood is always much nicer in the morning.  I was trying to catch that mood and the creek that the trail follows.  


It was only after I took the picture that I noticed I wasn't alone.  To the left (of the picture) a young bull moose was resting.  Another perk of these trails.  


Since the trail goes along the creek, we cross bridges here and there.  This one is near where the trail goes under a railroad bridge as we get close to Taku Lake.  


Finally, here's a picture of the trail itself, just after going under C Street and over another bridge over the creek.  This stretch of trail goes about eight miles without ever intersecting a street (except through tunnels under bridges).  But there are houses and businesses around the trail everywhere.  Much of the trail has enough buffer you don't see them.  In other spots you do.  


These trails keep my head healthy.  There are a few more posts that show Campbell Creek and other Anchorage trails in different locations and seasons.  You can find them in the labels section in the lower right hand column.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.