Regulars here know that there will be a bit more than just Waterbiking.
Our kids gathered on Bainbridge Island last week for a family celebration. We had a good time in pleasant weather, all the nicer knowing we were missing a week of rain in Anchorage. The views from my window seat weren't spectacular on the way back yesterday. As we got to Prince William Sound, we were already told to prep for landing early - trays up, electronics unplugged, etc. Then the next 20 minutes or so were variations of gray clouds with one brief opening where I could see land below. That darker stretch is Fire Island, but even parts of it are clouded over. We did have a smooth landing.

So I'd been wondering whether I would have decent biking weather to get to my dermatologist appointment today. The weather app wasn't hopeful last night, but this morning when I opened the shades, there was even sunshine! My doctor has moved since my last appointment. He was in the Providence medical high rises. Now he's in midtown - the modern glassy building on C St. between Northern Lights and Benson. I noticed the sign in the elevator - Self Cleaning Buttons. Never noticed a sign like that before.
So here, from
Elevator Consultants Solutions:
"Key Highlights
- In today's world, nanoseptic self-cleaning buttons are changing the game for places lots of people touch.
- These innovative buttons clean themselves using nanoseptic technology, so there's no need to use regular cleaners on them.
- The magic behind their cleaning power is a powerful oxidation reaction from mineral crystals that get energy from light you can see.
- This process breaks down nasty stuff like organic contaminants into harmless things such as CO2, making everything safer and cleaner.
- Not only do they work well, but these buttons also last a long time. They're a solid choice for keeping germs at bay.
- With nanoseptic button covers, upgrading those high-touch spots becomes easy and does wonders for public health."
The office takes up the whole 8th floor. My exam room was on the northeast corner. I've reserved the room for all future visits.
And then I was done, with the sun still shining. So I headed off along C Street to Dowling to pick up the Campbell Creek south trail.
The water was muddy and high as it passed under C Street. I was concerned about what the Arctic underpass would look like. With good reason. A biker and his dog came the other way. Okay, let's do it.
I came out the other side with wet feet - I'm guessing it was six or seven inches deep at the deepest point. So, how is the Minnesota underpass going to be?
Not as bad as Arctic, but it does go on a bit further on the other side.
So where the trail ends I decided to go back on Dimond and get back to the trail at C Street. Dimond's
not the nicest biking environment, so I went exploring on Vernye Place, which quickly becomes Della and that connects with Runamuck Place.
It's only a short block long and Wakefield is a dead end, between Dimond and Campbell Creek.
So back up to Dimond. The sidewalk deadened near the Minnesota overpass, but a path went down to the bike trail on the other side of the bridge (so I didn't have to go through the puddles again.)
At Arctic, to avoid the deep water, I went back up to Dimond where I saw this assortment of political signs:
This is why a lot of folks were upset when Matt Shultz pulled out of the US House race. Here's Independent Bill Hill's sign up with a Sullivan (the Senator, I assume, not Daniel J.) The Bronson and Church (for Governor) and McGuire and Rasmussen (for Governor}. All the others are Republicans. What is he telling Republicans that he's not telling Democrats? Or does this mean the Republicans really don't like Rep. Nick Begich?
Because I also see Bill Hill signs next to Mary Peltola signs. If he pulls it off, there will be some upset voters when he picks a side to caucus with.
At C Street, back down to the bike trail and home. Well one more detour. I'm sure the underpass at Old Seward Highway will be flooded, so I get off
at the new bridge over Campbell Creek - which is 50th and cross Old Seward and get back on the trail on the other side of the bridge. Sure enough, it's also got lots of water. Plus it has lots of bumps.
This is across the creek from the Arctic Road Runner.
July has only gotten about three inches of rain so far. While that's three times the normal rainfall, it's not t really a lot of rain over three weeks, though much of it probably came this last week. And I suspect there was more rain in the mountains where the creek originates.
But I hope these flood zones are on the Municipalities fix list.
It's dark and cloudy again as I finish this post at 3pm.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.