Friday, April 28, 2023

Out For A Hike

 

I try not to drive too much and an Alaskan hazard has kept me from using my car as we await a new windshield.  The car spent much of the winter in the neighbor's driveway, which is much wider than ours.  But sometime during its stay, an icicle crashed down from above and made a very impressive web of cracks right in front of the driver.  The very center is even leaning in.  I've put clear packing tape all across this creation as we wait for a new windshield to make its way north.  I'm still concerned a good bump would send it all crashing in.  They told us it would be four weeks and I called today because it's overdue.  

So my wife's car got us on our first outing for the season.  McHugh Creek tends to have less snow than Anchorage and is a good first hike.  But it was not as snow free as we had expected.  It was also windy until you get into the woods and a gust grabbed my had and it disappeared.  J is usually pretty good at finding things, but didn't see it at all in amongst the trees.  Another couple came by and they were at the right angle to spot it and retrieve it.  

The view of Turnagain Arm never disappoints.  





The entrance to the parking lot was blocked with equipment and there was a new entrance.  At first I though they were rearranging the entrance, but there was road construction ahead, so I'm guessing they're just storing the equipment in there.  


 The upper parking lot (to the Potter trail) had a lot more snow than I remember from past early hikes.  


And the trail had a lot more snow than we expected.  We ran into a group of Air Force guys out exploring around Anchorage.  They weren't that excited about the snow either.  





Potter Marsh was still mostly frozen.  








From the boardwalk it was still snowy and we only saw a few birds - a goose, a duck, an eagle - all in the air.  






Our very snowy winter and colder than normal April still can't hold off spring too long.  There are tulips and daffodils poking through the soil at home.  


2 comments:

  1. Jacob here. Sorry to see your windscreen (ouch). But let me thank you for sharing this new spring rising in McHugh Creek. This is home. We live on an amazing planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just learned today the windshield that was due here around April 28 wasn't shipped until April 17 and now they say end of May or early June. This is precisely the time we want to use the camper. And I don't know how they're shipping it that it takes 40 days to get to Alaska. Speedy Glass, who has been great in the past, didn't even check til I called to ask for an update.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.