Monday, July 01, 2019

Perfect Cloudless Day For An Eclipse, But It’s Tomorrow

The family arrived here late tonight [one of the grandkids helped me get the keyboard connected to the iPad just now] and slept in late.  I looked at birds in the morning.  Flocks of parrots, pigeons, and various other smaller birds I haven’t identified yet.  I downloaded Aves Argentina on my phone - it’s a free app that is fantastic and you don’t have to be connected to the internet to use it.  I realize most people reading this probably aren’t in Argentina, but I’m sure there are other such apps for other places - after the guide at Iguazú was using it.





   


 

 

Parrots in the first three pictures above, and this is the Great Kiskadee that we saw in Buenos Aires and again at Iguazú.  I’m not sure what this is.  If I find it in Aves Argentina I’ll add it later.


Then we all went to lunch again at the restaurant we ate at yesterday.  Everyone loved what they had. Then we walked around and found out part of why it was so good.  They have an organic garden and a farm.  So we walked around.

 
Yesterday I was marveling at how fresh the various kinds of lettuce in the salad was.  Here’s why.  They pick it just before they serve it.

 Carrots.

 


We met a couple from North Carolina who saw the eclipse in Nebraska a few years back.  And there are three Belgians where we’re staying who are also here for the eclipse.  People are looking at maps of where the total eclipse will be the longest.  From here it should be a little over a minute but there planning to go where it’s 2 minutes long.

We chatted with the owner of this place and we’re having a BBQ here and then we think we’re all going to see the eclipse where it’s two minutes.  But we’ll know tomorrow.  There are questions about how clogged the roads will be at the longest spots.  Some are arguing that there aren’t that many people and cars in the are and plenty of desert where you could pull over and watch.  We’ll find out tomorrow.  Just hoping the sky stays cloudless.  Totality is at 5:39 pm to 5:40pm  (that’s 1:40pm Pacific DLS Time, and 12;40pm in Alaska) or a little longer depending where you are.  The sun goes down around 6:20pm. But I have my granddaughter here for a few days so the eclipse is just frosting.

And let me add - everyone is so nice and helpful and friendly.  The owner really has mastered his smart phone and he’s talking into the phone and letting it speak back to us in English and then has us talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.