Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Best of the NorthWest Film Festival - Out North

Halfway through these shorts I started wondering what I do about blogging this. I'm not a blogger who says it's good when I don't think it is, just because I think the idea or the venue is worthy of promotion. And I wasn't impressed by the shorts I was seeing. They were ok, but not exciting. Fortunately, not that many people in Anchorage read this blog so it wouldn't affect them coming or not.

But then the last one started and I got sucked right in. Patterns 3. It had some visual and musical style - essentially it told its story using the medium of film. It wasn't the moving picture adaptation of something else. That's what makes a good movie for me. I don't completely understand it, but that's good too. I do have quirky film taste and this was a quirky film. Leaving I overheard someone very confused about this last film. It was the one that made it all worthwhile for me.


It turns out there is a Patterns and Patterns2 as well. You can check an even shorter clip of each at the Patterns3 link above.

I decided to do this post rather than try to comment on John Henry Browne's motion to allow Kohring to stay out of prison while the conviction is on appeal. There was just too much rehash of old stuff to do it even partial justice with the time I had. One criterion was that the appeal was legitimate and not just a way to stall. It looks like a lot of stall to me. Maybe Browne is much smarter than I think. But at this point I just think he's smarter than Kohring who, presumably, keeps paying him for all these motions that are being filed. And probably doing nothing but fattening Browne's bank account. But, I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.