I thought about that when I watched this video of John Oliver over on Immoral Minority. People have been lamenting the departure of Jon Stewart from the Daily Show. And Stewart does have a knack for getting right to the issue and nailing it. Of course it helps to have a great staff of researchers and production folks to back you up.
But my thought was, when one leaves, another one will pop up to take his place.
We are a country of 300 million people. 1% of 300 million equals 3 million. Half of that is still 1.5 million. So there's a pool of 1.5 million Americans in the top one half percent of the funniest/smartest Americans. Surely among that group we can find plenty of talent to not only replace Jon Stewart, but to find new and amazing ways to expose the corrupt and crazy among the powerful. We have the talent to put on 100 different Daily Shows if we look and nurture the very best.
|Jeff the Diseased Lung and John Oliver|
The whole segment is definitely worth watching to
- see how truly evil the tobacco companies are
- think about how we empower these companies so they can violate the health interests of independent nations
- consider what they are doing to us in the US (think "global warming hasn't been proven")
- realize that there are plenty of other Jon Stewarts waiting out there to take his place, and then some.
- have a good laugh or three at Phillip Morris' expense