Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Waxing or Waning?




The crescent moon in the western sky looked like a backward C.  So, was it moving toward fullness or newness?



Taking the picture with my little camera is tricky.  I played around, but mostly I kept getting too much light and so you couldn't see the crescent.

I finally got it by setting it on automatic, night.

So, is it waxing or waning?

There are lots of websites that answer that question, but most of them are pretty complicated.  Or maybe this one (below) made sense because I'd seen so many already.  This is from eudesign:



"When Coming (or rriving), it is really departing.
When
Departing ), it is really coming."
Another way of telling is this:
L-E-FT hand curve = D-E-CREASING.
R-I-GHT hand curve = -I-NCREASING.

2 comments:

  1. I always use the Karate Kid device..

    Wax on...
    Wane off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the mnemonic in Barbara Kingsolver's "The Lacuna." C for Christo (dying/waning). D for Dios (growing/waxing).

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.