Thursday, November 10, 2011

More Snow, More Shoveling, Full Circle, Photoshop






You're going to get bored with these driveway pictures - or else I'll have to start learning some better photoshop tricks.  But once again, there were about 4 inches of snow on the driveway to be shoveled.  And the snow on the sides of the driveway are getting higher.  This is about the fourth snowfall since Oct. 30. 














But inside we had our new Full Circle Foods box.   It's nice, and something of a challenge, to open the box every two weeks and see what's inside.  J does most of the cooking these days.  I think I figured out why - she prefers eating it to what I cook.  So do I.
I think going into next summer we need to scout out the more local options.  Suggestions? 


We also moved forward on the uncluttering today via Craigslist - got rid of a nice chair that just doesn't work right for us.  And the buyer seemed very pleased.   


OK, I decided to go play with the FCF photo.  (I realized later it was the snow stuff I should jazz up, but when I tried, I wasn't impressed.  I'll have to find something else.) 

I found a website - photoshop essentials - tutorial on blending layers in photoshop.  Here I'm only using the persimmons and the carrots. 

For the carrots, I went through the different blend modes in the Layers window and decided I liked Light Color best for this.

For the persimmons (one's an apple), none of the Blending options appealed to me.  I'm not sure how it got open, but the styles window was open, and I tried the different options until I found "Light Dissolve" which, while not perfect, seemed best.  I'm using Photoshop 3, so I was pleased to read on photoshop essentials that the latest version isn't (essential):


But do you really need the latest and greatest version of Photoshop with all its bells and whistles in order to complete most of your day-to-day photo editing tasks? Adobe would like you to think, "Yes, absolutely!!", but chances are, more often than not, the answer is no. With just a little knowledge and a few basic skills, you can usually accomplish most of what you need to do. Even though each new version of Photoshop comes with new features, new options and new toys for us to play with, the core skills you need to have are the same in Photoshop CS3 as they were back in Photoshop 3 when Adobe first introduced layers into Photoshop.
So what are these core skills? Knowing how to make basic selections is one of them. Knowing how to use and work with layers in Photoshop is definitely one of them. Understanding how layer masks work is very important. And knowing how and when to use layer blend modes, which just happen to be the topic of this discussion, is absolutely essential.

2 comments:

  1. (Had to resubmit after finding some glaring typos)

    And then, there's simply using what one learns to retain it. Years ago, Out North brought in a professional (then called videographer) from LA to teach an early version of FCP (Final Cut Pro). We had 15 students, I think, and I was one of them. Went five full days! The instructor said, up front, "This is much like learning a language. Use it and you'll learn it; don't and you'll lose it."



    I can attest to his prediction. Within several months of (not) using the program, it was largely alien territory for me while a young man who became our in-house editor is now a professional film maker in Anchorage, making a very good living jetting about the states. Proud of him. (It goes back to your mentoring blog earlier.)

    My 

point? Complex programs are learnable. Complexity also makes them very forgettable. Advice I'd pass on is to know if you REALLY plan to use many of a program's functions (and all its growing features) before you buy it or keep to a simpler version. Oh, and good luck finding a simpler version.

    My own experience with Photoshop? Took training on that years ago as well. I can still open the application, but not a lot more than that... (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob, that's one of the reasons I regularly play with photo shop before putting some pictures up - so I don't forget. Even the little I can do there, gives me a lot more options for my images that just Blogspot or iPhoto.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.