Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Boreal [Northern Hawk] Owl Visits the Hard Way

4:07pm




A loud thump on the window, but I can't see anything.

4:09pm Outside there's a good sized bird lying in the driveway below the window. But it is moving. I went in and called the bird treatment and learning center. They said to wait a bit to see if it gets up on its own. If not, wrap it in a towel, put it in a box, and bring it in.




4:15pm The bird is sitting up and looking around. Our neighbor comes by. Things are improving. Later I look up Alaska owls and decide it's most likely a Boreal owl. [Dianne, whose knowledge of birds I always defer to] says in the comments below, that this is a Northern Hawk owl. The key point that got me to think it was a boreal owl, was its size. This was not a big owl.]
About 10” long, the Boreal Owl has a chocolate brown back with large white spots and white underparts streaked with brown. Its off-white facial disk with a distinct black border, short tail, yellow bill, and white forehead spotting are distinctive field markings.


The whole story is on the video.


[No, I'm not that anal that I was tracking the time. But my Canon Powershot was.]

10 comments:

  1. Steve,
    Did you look at the Northern hawk owl picture in the bird book?
    The Boreal owl and the Northern hawk owl are very similar, except the Northern hawk owl is larger and has a longer tail. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. The description about the Boreal owl in the bird book is 'white underparts streaked with chocolate brown.' The bird in your picture has underparts that are 'barred' with brown. That would be the Northern hawl owl. Barred means horizontal and streaks means vertical.

    The long tail is the give away though. I can see the tail easily in both of your pictures. That would be a Northern hawk owl. A Boreal owl's tail is short most owls have.

    The Northen hawk owl is a diurnal/daytime owl rather than a night owl like the Boral owl.

    I hope you will post the video on the Alaska Bird List. Those viewers would love to see it!
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you saw this when the video wasn't working. Check the video to get your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is beautiful, nice he was just stunned and was able to fly away. Great video, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve,
    Some of us don't know that we can choose Anonymous from the Select profile menu to post here.
    For everyone's information. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the video.
    I saw The Northen hawk owl twice in Alaska with Dianne.
    I'm happy the owl looks OK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see he woke up. I hope there wasn't any internal damage, and that he's still okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing! I enjoyed this video.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just watched the video and it is really neat. Sometimes we have hummingbirds hit our window and then they seem to revive themselves and fly away. Lets hope Begich keeps the lead...I'd hate to see Sarah go to the Senate! Kate

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.