Friday, August 30, 2024

Back To Third Grade

Yesterday was one of those on again off again sunny cloudy days.  This is better than weeks with no sun.  As long as your daily routine is flexible, you can go out when it's sunny.  Riding to Grow North Farm yesterday, the clouds were doing their best to block out the sun even though there was lots of blue.  




At the garden, everyone (the subscribers) got collard greens, parsley and garlic.  Then we got to choose two from this table which included:  cauliflower, radishes, beets, bak choi, salad greens, and carrots.  (Except maybe for the carrots, the picture doesn't do them justice.)





On the way home the sun was getting closer to breaking through the clouds.





I know I promised something about 3rd grade.  Here it is.  

Today the sky was similar.  I went to the school I volunteered at last spring.  

Last year the teacher had 30 kids!  The average elementary school class size was 23 and the recommended size for 1st-3rd is 15.  

This year she has only 21 and you could see the difference on her face and attitude.  (But maybe that's also the difference between the beginning of the school year and the end.)

It looks like I'm going to focus on a kid with limited English.  He did some of the work with a lot of help and did a find-the-words puzzle with a lot less help.  I'm hoping mastering basic English will make help this kid blossom.  The school doesn't have an teacher for basic English (can't fill the position I was told.)  They have tablets with lots of educational stuff on them.  There has to be stuff for learning English.  I can also check what the library has.  And I'll just create stuff to help him build his vocabulary and speaking and listening skills.  He did tell me, in careful English at the end, the names of his brother, sister, and mother.  

Last year was very rewarding and I think I can do a better job this time round.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.