Friday, November 15, 2019

Do Bike Studded Tires Really Work?

I imagine that they wouldn't be selling if they didn't work.   Riding on packed snow is one thing.  My winter bike did that fine without studs.  But now that our winters are icier, I broke down and bought a pair of studded tires.

Yesterday was a real test.  It had been drizzling most of the night onto below freezing pavement.  The ice was obvious.  Walking without grippers was a challenge.  Was I going to try out my tires on this horrible day to go to my last Pebble Mine class (there's one more, but we're going south for  a Thanksgiving granddaughter visit.)

The floor had been installed and the electricians were finishing up their second day of converting our house to the 21st century.  I was really skeptical, but Erick, one of the electricians encouraged me.  He's rode on studded bike tires one winter and he was fine.  Never fell off.  Just keep my bottom on the seat.  Skeptically, I decided to try it out on our block.

Let me tell you.  It was amazing.  There was never a dicey moment, except in my head.  I was cautious all the way, checking the brakes as I went down hills and slowing before going around corners, but the bike never wavered.  It never slid, it never let on that it was basically on ice all the way.

My aging body tells me to let up sometimes, and my rebellious inner child says, don't be a chicken, keep moving.   I know this probably isn't the smartest thing for me to do, but if I only did the safest think in life, my life wouldn't have been as interesting.

And now I know these tires are really good.  I also know they aren't fool proof.  But if they worked today, they should be good most of the time.


So, Jacob*, yes, they work.  


*comment #1


Meanwhile we're scrambling to get the house back in order after the disruptions from the workers, get things ready for our house sitter while we're gone, take care of last minute loose ends to tie up (you now have to 'join' the US Postal Service to stop your mail, but you can buy stamps online too and they say they'll let me track the incoming envelopes and packages online), and get packed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the report. I imagine your new tires are made of the low-temp pliable compound to make it all work. Had Finnish all-weather tires on my VW years ago and they really did work -- quite expensive, but I was trying to find a way to keep safe for stops on snow & ice and not contribute to the wearing away of the road surface that metal studs contributes to with car weights.

    Winter snow & ice does present its challenges. I really miss snow... we've even considered moving to Scotland just for the seasons. Well, that and the fact that they have evergreen trees there. Miss those, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.