Friday, May 10, 2019

I Didn't See The Falcated Duck, But A Trip To Potter Marsh Is Always A Good Idea

The ADN cover story today on the unusual* visit of a Falcated Duck to Potter Marsh was enough to get me in the car to go look.  A couple of years ago, the stray emperor goose that visited Loussac Library, stayed around long enough for me to see him.

So I thru a bike into the van - in case the small pullouts along the highway were full and I had to park a long ways off - and rode down.  But there was no trouble parking, and no Falcated Duck. (The link above has a picture.  It's a handsome bird.)

In fact it was very windy and the water was very choppy.



The most common birds were gulls.













And geese.  Though I also saw a grebe and some long pale necks with dark heads poking out of the grasses in the distance.



Way in the back I saw, through the binoculars, a couple of sandhill cranes land and disappear in the grasses.  Too far and too fleeting to get a picture.

And the background of the marsh, the greening hillside, was particularly beautiful in the binoculars.




Missing the falcated duck was a little disappointing, but I tried.  And yesterday I didn't even know the bird existed.  No reason to be upset, and I wasn't.  Sitting in the car, which bobbled in the wind at times, scanning the marsh with the binoculars was a great break all by itself.

*I used the word unusual because one report said first ever seen on the Alaska mainland.  But the ADN story says it more precisely - 'the first confirmed report of a falcated duck on mainland Alaska ever.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.