Saturday, September 29, 2012

Winter Preview

It looked like this when I got up this morning. Light snow was still falling.



But by the afternoon it was back to fall. Our first snowfall in Anchorage 35 years ago was on September 29. I remember it because it's my father's birthday. He'd be 101 today. Happy Birthday Dad.

I remember back then getting in the car and deciding to test the brakes while I was going slow. We'd moved up from LA and I only remember driving on snow once - in Yosemite with chains on. So I pushed down on the brake hard to test them - I wasn't going more than 4 or 5 mph - and the back end went in one direction and the front in the other. I was ready to drive down to Western Airlines and get tickets back to California right then. I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to push down so hard on the brakes. That first year we soon had studded tires on the van and learned to go with the snow. Eventually driving in snow and anticipating which way the car would skid became fun. And then came ABS (anti-lock breaking system) which changed everything.

4 comments:

  1. Who was the wag who said, "I learned that most car accidents happen within 25 miles of your home, so I moved."

    Good post: like the "crashes" v. "accidents".

    It's rushing around trying to do three things at once that seem to cause those milliseconds of inattention -- and CRASH. Slow and steady wins the race.

    It's a horrid thought, but sometimes when I catch myself speeding through chores to get the the next thing on the list, I remind myself to savour everything I do -- it may be for the last time; we don't know. Each action suddenly becomes precious and the world around me poignant again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts, Barbara. But then artists are supposed to see things other humans miss, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Artists have a slice of what's needed for the human race to survive & thrive. It is increasingly obvious you have most of the other slices. Every week that I read your blog I see sides of you (and now languages!) making you a very well-rounded man.

      (The trick is to appreciate the parts in others oneself is missing and know they are important. There is always more to learn, thank gawd. )

      O/T -- these comments were originally left on another post (about accidents)..
      PLUS -- I see now you mentioned the 25 mile accident limit around ones house. How could I have not read that? o well, another gap of both or either inattention and/or forgetfulness.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.