Saturday, January 30, 2010

Eurydice at Perseverance Theater



This dark stage served as the underground in Perseverance Theater's production of Eurydice Wednesday night.  J and I had planned to go Friday last week until we found out it was in Douglas, 3.5 miles away according to Google Maps. And then I found out all legislators and staff had been invited to a special showing Wednesday. (I was transitioning from staff to blogger that evening.)  And we were able to get a ride over there.  


We'd heard great things about Preservation Theater and ultimately those expectations were fulfilled.  But I have to say the story itself was more like the story in an opera - an excuse for the music and the visual spectacle on stage. 


I like what most consider bizarre electronic music in which the pauses can be as important as the sounds.  The instruments in this play leaned heavily Asian.  The three stones - a sort of zombie-clown costumed chorus - undulated across the stage individually and then collapsed into an intertwined lump as the scene progressed.  They were wonderful.


Two of the stones are on the left of the picture and the third is on the right. 


I was completely absorbed when the father created a room in the underground by wrapping white string around the black frame in the pictures.  It went on for a long time and had a lyrical beauty.  

If a strong narrative is your thing, then you might react like one of the people near me who said, "There were two tragedies tonight, one on the stage and the other was that I had to be there."  But I walked out exhilarated  by the beauty of the visuals and the audios. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.