Sunday, September 20, 2009

Gout

Gout is a kind of arthritis that has been known since ancient times. Hippocrates called it “the disease of kings” because of its association with a rich diet. In reality, there are a number of factors that can lead to gout, and diet is part of this larger picture. [Gout.com]
Why am I telling you this? Because I spent yesterday not being very royal with a toe so sore I didn't get out of bed. I'll spare you the photo, but my left big toe is much bigger and redder than my right big toe.

So, how did this happen? Well, it did happen once about five and a half years ago when we were in Portland for six months. That time I suffered much longer (I'm assuming the meds will kick in by tomorrow and now it only hurts when I walk on it or bump it) because first I had to find a doctor, get an appointment, etc. This time I knew what it was and I have a great doctor who is extremely responsive and helpful. But why did I get this? From foods to avoid on gout.com
  • Meat items that are particularly high in purines include beef, pork, lamb, and “organ meats” (such as liver, kidney, and brain), as well as meat extracts and gravies.
These foods are almost never on my plate, so they're not the problem.

  • Reduce or eliminate alcohol consumption, especially beer.
Again, very rarely. This is not it.

  • Reduce your use of oatmeal, dried beans, peas, lentils, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, and mushrooms.

Hmmmm, I eat oatmeal almost every day. And last week I had more than usual amounts of spinach and mushrooms.

Another 2004 study did find meat and seafood to increase the chance of gout in men. But
In this specific study, though, not all purine-rich foods were associated with an increased risk of gout. There was no increased risk associated with a diet which included:

* peas
* beans
* mushrooms
* cauliflower
* spinach

Even though these foods are considered high in purines. Choi's team also found that low-fat dairy products decrease the risk of gout and overall protein intake had no effect. Ultimately, diets shown to be connected to gout are the same kinds of diet linked to cardiovascular disease.

Gout.com goes on to suggest:

Dietary and lifestyle changes may also help:

* Maintain a healthy body weight and a well-balanced diet.
* Avoid alcohol, especially beer.
* Exercise regularly.
Well, I already do all these things. I recall, but can't find, an old Mark Twain quote. He was recommending various vices like smoking and drinking because, he said, when you get sick and the doctor tells you to give them up, you'll have something to give up.

3 comments:

  1. Steve, this hurt to read! I hope you get better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Steve. My husband must deal with this occassionaly and like you he canot identify any of the regular stressors related to food. For him for some reason outbreaks seem to be tied to long distance travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I can feel the toe getting closer to normal already, but not there yet.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.