Friday, December 15, 2023

Can Your Physician Use Telehealth To Treat You When You're Out Of State?

 I was out-of-state when my doctor's office called to set up a telehealth appointment for me.  The date they wanted was when I was going to be back in Alaska.  I thought, wow, this is great.  If I'm out-of-state, I can still have an appointment with my doctor if needed.  

But they said, "No, you have to be in Alaska."  

For me, that makes no sense.  If I need a doctor when I'm not in Alaska, I'd rather see my doctor than a one I don't know.  [Of course if there's a need for physical contact or tests, it's not going to work as well.]  

So when I had my appointment, I asked, "Why can't we do this if I'm out-of-state?"

The nurse, the doctor, and the doctor's supervisor (this is through Providence) weren't exactly sure.  They'd been advised that it had to be Alaska only.  Licensing seemed to be a possible reason, but they weren't sure.  And they couldn't cite any documents I could see for myself.

Whether this was a state law, regulation, Providence policy or something else, they didn't know.  


So I decided I would try to track this down.  Here's what I've found out so far.


  • During COVID emergency health declarations waived some interstate telehealth barriers, and much of what first pops up in searches are pandemic era webpages, some of which have dates on them.  
  • A big issue IS the need to be licensed in the state where the patient is located
  • Another issue has to do with payment for patients on the state medicaid or other health programs
  • Some states allow out-of-state doctors to have telehealth appointments in their states, but the rules aren't easy to figure out for individual doctors.  There are various conditions one has to meet, and one has to be sure the source of information reflects the current law, that no changes have been made

Interactive at the site which appears
to be updated frequently

CCHP (The Center for Connected Health Policy) has some of the best information I've found so far.  Their Out Of State Providers page has a map that links to the policies for every state.  And they seem to keep it up to date.  One was updated this month.

For instance, here's what it says for Arizona:

"Arizona

Last updated 11/07/2023

A provider who is not licensed within the State of Arizona may provide Telehealth services to an AHCCCS member located in the state if the provider is an AHCCCS registered provider and complies with all requirements listed within A.R.S. § 36-3606.

SOURCE: AZ Medical Policy for AHCCCS Covered Services. Telehealth and Telemedicine Ch 300, (320-I pg. 2), Approved 8/29/23. (Accessed Nov. 2023)."


AHCCCS refers to Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System. The link isn't really that complicated, but if I were a physician, I'd want an attorney to read it.  


From HHS:

"Some states have temporary practice laws to support existing provider-patient relationships and minimize gaps in care. These laws allow a provider to practice for a limited amount of time, usually less than 30 days, in another state if their patient is temporarily visiting that state for business, a family visit, or other reasons."

This includes what I would be after - treating one of their regular patients who happens to be temporarily out of state. 

What states clearly or not so clearlyseem to allow out of state doctors not licensed in the patient's state to provide telehealth services to patients located in their state?  Go to the CCHP map page to get details for each state.

  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Connecticut
  • Georgia - "Physicians with licenses in other states may be licensed under the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact"  You can read more about this Compact here.  They also have a map that shows which states are in various steps in the process of joining the Compact.  
  • Indiana - "Out-of-state providers can perform telehealth services without fulfilling the out-of-state prior authorization requirement if they have the subtype “Telemedicine” attached to their enrollment.  See Module for requirements."
  • Kentucky - this one seems particularly liberal.
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon - Looks like a liberal policy
  • South Dakota
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

Most of the concern seems to be with the State reimbursing for services to Medicaid patients.  There are various conditions placed on out of state providers.  Note that I said 'appear to allow out of state" providers.  And there were some states that might allow out of state providers who are not licensed in the patient's state, but I couldn't really tell for sure.  


So, the problem doesn't seem to lie with the State of Alaska. 

The issue is 

  • with other states - some do and some don't allow it, and those that do have different requirements
  • with Providence for making a blanket policy rather than tailoring it to the states that allow for out of state doctors.  Providence should know which
    • which states do not allow out of state doctors to have telehealth appointments with people in their states, 
    • which states do allow it, and 
    • what the requirements are for those that do
  • with doctors who have licenses to practice in other states letting Providence know that
I would like to think this is simply policy that hasn't caught up with technology changes and not simply stodgy hospital administrators not wanting to change or lazily using the law as an excuse

But I also understand that collecting all the necessary data and keeping it up to date is somewhat of a challenge.  But I was able to do this in less that four hours, so someone in the Prov administration should also be able to do it.  Especially since Providence serves Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.

7 comments:

  1. Jakob here in N. Ireland. Wanted to note that UK national health systems typically allow for such 'away' visits to be delivered by a surgery (doctor's office) in another part of the country. Can get tricky with problems given post-Covid labour shortages in the health care delivery system, however! If it isn't one thing, it's another (of course).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this information. I'm a Tacoma resident that's been enjoying your blog for several Presidents now. This is info that all traveling Seniors will appreciate, as they, like me, might make assumptions that aren't workable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Tacoma - glad it was helpful and that you've been a regular. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I imagine it also has to do with our AlaskaCare insurance. During Covid, they had their own Teladoc program (I think they may still have it.), so they had their stable of participating doctors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was clear from going through the other states' rules, that payment for medicaid patients was a major concern. Private insurance didn't come up, but it's a possibility.

      Delete
  4. I was reading this article as my wife was talking to her bone marrow transplant doctor in Connecticut on the phone. There are no organ or bone marrow transplants done in Alaska so we Alaskans have to leave the state for treatment so Medicaid and Medicare covers treatment done out of state and covers phone visits but not Zoom although Zoom visits were covered during the Covid emergency once again showing how convoluted American health care is. Maybe rules like this are a type price support for higher priced medical care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that additional info. I imagine in some states it's a way to minimize medicaid. Alaska's governor has done that in other ways. But I don't think the issue here is the state. I found nothing about states prohibiting their doctors from treating people in other states. It's all about outside doctors treating in-state patients. I suspect this is Providence not taking the time to do the work necessary to allow doctors who meet the various criteria to teleconference with their regular patients who are out of state. I even saw mention in some state rules that e-mail counts as telehealth. So far Prov's MyChart works out of state. This could get messier before it gets worked out.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.