Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Stepping Back In Time

 Flying from Anchorage to Seattle in October is like stepping back in time.  The flowers are still blooming profusely and it's light at 7am.



We're here helping out with child care and food prep and other such chores while my son-in-law is out of town for work, so my daughter can concentrate on her own work.


The last two days, J managed to get out of bed early enough to walk our granddaughter to school.  Today she got to sleep in while I was up at 6:45am.  

Once getting out of bed is accomplished, it is pure pleasure to walk with Z to school.  






Only a few late and hardy bloomers were still smiling in Anchorage when we left, that's not the case down here.  (We hear it snowed after we left.)  While I'm pretty sure the ones above are hydrangea, I'm not sure what the ones below are.  But their dainty beauty helps lift my heart so beset with human failures.  




My granddaughter took the picture below.  Since it's her shot, I didn't crop it, and she's in school now so she's not here to make it look the way she wants.  Perhaps she'll want to make an adjustment later.  




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousWednesday, October 19, 2022 at 4:40:00 PM AKDT
      https://mustreadalaska.com/as-assembly-begins-to-curb-free-speech-anchorage-newspaper-joins-racist-fray-and-university-professor-suggests-peoples-brains-have-been-polluted/?fbclid=IwAR0VS-P9Kx8FPzKVlEuueyhKRN2ZkSg2h0-W7YUrxhjjMrecUm7pLFXD0uA

      Reply (I accidentally deleted this comment, but I was able to retrieve it sort of. This is all there was: Anonymous and the link.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Anon. You're the first to alert me to MRAK using my email to the Assembly for most of her column. (More than half of her post is a direct quote of my email to the Assembly.) Where she quotes me verbatim (much of the article) it appears to be ok, though I haven't checked it word for word. But she stretches the fair use doctrine quite a bit. If they pay their contributors, she ought to send me a check. In other places she's somewhat misleading.
    "According to his letter, some people just pollute the public discourse because their brains are polluted with misinformation:"
    I didn't say they pollute because their brains are polluted. I said that spreading disinformation, lies, slander, etc. pollutes the public forum. It prevents sincere citizens from getting work done because it distracts from what they are supposed to be doing. I did say it pollutes brains - by filling them with disinformation, lies, and distrust - which makes it hard to actually work on finding solutions. It was a simile.
    I did consider posting it on my blog yesterday, and I may now have to just to let people see what I wrote in its entirety.

    I'd emphasize - and she quotes me on this - that I don't think it is censorship or curtailing people's freedom of speech. If people continue to work to disrupt the meetings with comments that are inflammatory, lies, and demeaning and do not lead to a solution, then they should be either banned from giving oral testimony or even banned from the meetings in extreme circumstances. This is to allow the Assembly to get its work done. Because the Assembly is online, they can still watch. Because they can make written testimony to the Assembly, their free speech isn't abridged. But it would be up to attorneys to figure out exactly how to do that.
    Again, thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.