Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Elephant In The Womb And Other Kavanaugh Protest Signs At Anchorage Rally

The street was wet and the sky was gray and my let's go biking mantra sounded a bit flat.  But there was a rally downtown to protest the appointment of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.  I'm much more for a rally about things people want to do, rather than things they don't want.  But, really, from my perspective, Kavanaugh would push the court way to the right, making decisions that favor the wealthy (corporations and individuals) and harm the overwhelming majority.  Kavanaugh would continue to interpret the bill of rights to apply to corporate 'persons' over individual human persons.  And we've already heard that he doesn't think a sitting president can be indicted, constitutionally.  I know people are focused on abortion, but in my mind, that's a proxy issue - one that gets a certain set of people imagining evil doctors torturing babies to death - but it's the advertising that gets people to support a judicial candidate who will find ways to ignore the blatant gerrymandering that some Republican dominate states have undertaken, and allows them to find ways to make it much harder for Democratic voters to vote.

It wasn't actually raining.  So I stuck a raincoat into my backpack and enjoyed my ride downtown via the Chester Creek bike trail.  And found a parking spot at a street light right next to the rally.  Here are some photos and a video.





















































I like a good play on words, so I thought this was a pretty nifty poster.




And the group was gathering post cards with people's messages to Sen. Lisa Murkowski, on the other few Republican Senators who's shown any backbone at all since Trump was elected.  I can't even imagine all the things she's being offered in exchange for a yes vote here.
















It started drizzling as I was on my way home, but it never rained very hard.  Being out on the trail, moving blood through my veins is always a reward.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.