Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

This post is better if you have the music from the video on in the background.



We just lost our girlfriend governor. You know, the "hottest Governor in the country" that we've had this rocky relationship with. It started out pretty good. She stood up against Frank and said ethics was the most important thing in life. And we'd never had ethics before and we loved it.

But then John caught her eye, dangling before her much more than we had to give. She was flirting with states all over the country, humiliating us. But when they dumped her, we took her back. It was hard to see her with all those others, but damn it she was "hot!" and she was our governor, no one else's, even if she was so high maintenance.

But now she's made it official. She broke up with us on Friday. She doesn't like ethics with us any more. It seems it didn't just get boring, she's started to hate it. When she was in charge, she loved it. But now that we decided that we wanted to call the ethics shots, she's no longer into it.

And while she told us it was over and she was going to her secret hiding place, she must have her cell phone, because all these other guys are suddenly over at her place and they're as love struck as we once were. She's teasing them. Yesterday they each got to make out with her for ten minutes on the beach, and then she went on to the next guy.


Sorry, different metaphors keep trying out for the role of explaining Sarah Palin. Today, I've been taken over by the high school metaphor. Let's try a variation on this theme.

OK, I graduated high school before Palin was born and I'm sure things are different now. But when I was in high school, there were different cliques.

The soshes (from social) were the 'in' crowd. The beautiful people of high school, they defined what was cool and not. (Has 'cool' been in all this time, or did it go away for a while and come back?) Even among the soshes there were rival cliques. They had minor differences, but they all wore the right clothes, drove the right cars, hung out at the right places, and dated the right people. The cheerleaders (Title IX wasn't even an idea then) and the football players were the inner circle.

Then there were various others castes. The nerdy people were smart, but hopelessly dressed, socially inept, and a bunch of loners. Some soshes used the smarts from time to time for help with homework and exams (and helping them gave the nerds the illusion of temporary coolness), but the in crowd laughed at them behind their backs and sometimes, if necessary, would humiliate them in public.

And then there were others who simply didn't count at all. They weren't well dressed, they weren't cool, and they weren't even smart.

I can't help seeing Palin as one of the soshes. Popularity is the most important thing. The image has to be maintained - cool clothes, being with the right people, doing the cool things. Basically looking good. Going to class is a social event and homework is so boring. She'd been a sosh in Wasilla, but when she moved to Juneau, it was like changing schools and she had to work her way in.

She used some of the nerds to come up with AGIA. They realized she wasn't too smart, but she was beautiful. They loved it when she walked around with them, holding their hands, leaning up against them, as they walked past their usually untouchable rivals the oil team. The team had been busted for gambling with the legislature and were temporarily on probation.

But when John, that college guy, caught Palin's eye, all bets were off. She quickly tried to act college. But she was out of her league. But when they wanted her to be a pit bull - hell that was easy, it was her natural behavior and hiding behind a facade of nice was so tiring. Well, that relationship didn't work out, but a lot of other college guys started panting after this hot high school chick.

But for a while, she came back to finish high school. But it wasn't any fun any more. She even stopped going to class at the end of this last semester to hang out with some college guys. And those nerdy chicks with the blogs started getting brazen and telling people that she wasn't pretty without all that make up, and who was buying her clothes, and they put up posters all over school every time she dallied with another guy. Who are these bitches?! But no matter what she said, they wouldn't leave her alone.

And so now she's announced that in her sophomore year, she's dropping out. I don't need you guys, I'm bored with you. I don't need to do my homework, the college guys like me just the way I am.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Great post. Nailed Queen Bee Sarah perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should be picked up by MSM! It rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, agreed to a point. I have long said that politics is high school, where people confuse bitchiness for intelligence--beauty queens at their best (or worst, depending on point of view). Poor gal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if secondary school is politics, then I am good at me. I shall say that I am one of the few people who is accepted by all the "groups" in my class on some level. I have never felt that anyone in my class had done anything bad to me. So I have been the person of compromises. I have quite good relations with the popular ones or I don't know how I should call them.

    I can say that I am quite lucky because of that. However my school achievments took role at this because when I started high school I was an average student and my opinion wasn't that much respected as now as I became class 3rd and the best male at class.

    Anyway I don't think secondary schools have changed so much during the time. I mean people's nature haven't changed during the course of history. That's why history repeats itself.

    So does that mean that the governor's chair is waiting for me? :D (irony)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? I can't say this is my favorite post. I expected more respect and equal treatment for both male and female politicians here, especially considering today's post ("More Thoughts on Alaskan Bloggers' Impacts"). The premise is possibly okay, but the execution is not helpful for promoting gender equality:

    "It was hard to see her with all those others, but damn it she was "hot!" and she was our governor, no one else's, even if she was so high maintenance."

    "She's teasing them. Yesterday they each got to make out with her for ten minutes on the beach, and then she went on to the next guy."

    "Well, that relationship didn't work out, but a lot of other college guys started panting after this hot high school chick."

    I am also uncomfortable with they way "hot girlfriends" are portrayed here. Both Palin and women in general end up getting associated with situations that are neither relevant to, nor appropriate, for the political stage.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.