Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Baranof Offer Follow Up - Offer Renewed for July Session

Yesterday I mentioned that the while legislators are camping out in their offices to save money, the Baranof Hotel had offered bargain rates to stay at the hotel during the session. I would note that Representative Myers who was named in the ADN article saying that hotel rooms were more expensive than the per diem, was NOT on the email from legislative staff to legislators.

I've also blocked out names as I was requested to do.



From: XXXXXXXXXXX
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:53 PM
To: [23 Senators and Representatives - Kevn Myers was NOT on the list]
Cc: XXXXXXXXX
Subject: Special Session Housing - Baranof Rooms



Dear Members – My office is currently looking for housing for nine members during the upcoming June 3 special session. We also did not hear back from 14 members as to whether they were squared away (Names of the 14.) My office is advertising for furnished apartments or homes or house sitting opportunities during the special session. We will be contacting those nine Legislators with any results.



I received a call today from the Baranof to let members know they will accommodate you during the special session. There is a May 4 deadline if you are interested in staying at the Baranof. Please contact Steve Hamilton at the below number and also let us know if you are taken care of housing wise. Thank you. Pam p.s. please be advised that your daily per diem during this time will be $218 a day (the federal government breakout of the $218 = $129 lodging, $71 meals, $18 incidentals)



From: Hamilton, Steve (HAL)
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:55 PM
To: XXXXXXXXX
Subject: Legislature



It was good to talk to you this morning.



I want to put in writing to you, that I will ensure housing here at the Baranof Hotel for special session, in case you hear that there is no room here in Juneau for them.

My nightly rate for them is $119 and will include cooking facilities. [Actually this was lowered to $109 I was told.]

To guarantee space I will need to hear from them by May 4th.



If you have any questions, let me know.



Steve Hamilton
General Manager
Westmark Baranof Hotel
127 N Franklin St
Juneau, Alaska 99801
907 463 XXXX
www.westmarkhotels.com


Another email was sent out today offering the $109 rate for the July special session.

From: Hamilton, Steve (HAL)
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:45 AM
To: 'XXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Special Session



June 10, 2008



Dear Legislators,



As I offered to you and your staff for this recent June Special Session, I, once again, would like to extend an invitation for you to stay with us here at the Baranof Hotel for the July Special Session.



If you would contact me personally, I will make sure that you have housing available to you. I am offering a rate of $109 per night, which is below our regular summer $149 nightly rate. And I want to make sure that the rate is well within your $129 night per diem. On a first come, first serve basis, I will upgrade you to an efficiency unit with cooking facilities. Larger suites will be available for a nominal extra fee.



As always, I look forward to having you with us here in Juneau.

If there is ever anything that you need, do not hesitate to contact me.



Steve Hamilton
General Manager
Westmark Baranof Hotel
127 N Franklin St
Juneau, Alaska 99801
907 463 xxxx
www.westmarkhotels.com


There is a part of me that thinks that it is laudable that our legislators are trying to save money by living less luxuriously. But I would note, while they don't have housing expenses,there was no indication that they turned in the part of the per diem that covers those expenses. If thats true, their savings don't save the state of Alaska, rather they money goes into the pockets of legislators.

I don't fault the legislators for this. The reimbursement system that allows a standard per diem rather than collecting receipts probably saves more money and certainly time than gathering and checking all the receipts would cost. And legislators have out of pocket costs that they don't get reimbursed for. And legislative pay is not particularly lucrative and for many legislators, the disruption to their normal work can be a significant financial burden.

1 comment:

  1. I just have a real quick thought.

    The deal was especially for them as legislators, might there not be some sort of Ethical entanglements that are completely avoided by them not getting a special 'legislators' rate?

    That would be my concern if I was a legislator...

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.