I still have more photos, thoughts, and videos I'm hoping to add.
This year's festival began Friday December 2 and ended December 11. But with three nights of Best of the Fest films shown at the Alaska Experience Theater. Opening night included the showing of the movie Inuk and Director Mike Magidson, Ole Jørgen Hammeken, and Jean-Michel Huctin were there for Q&A after the showing.
The official website for the: Anchorage International Film Festival.
LOGISTICS - How to make your festival experience easier and better by knowing how things work.
- Unasked FAQs - Answers to basic questions for people trying to figure out the Festival and its jargon. If you only read one page here, this is the one to read
- Tips For Film Festival Skeptics - For people who haven't been to a film festival. How to find the best movies, see the film makers, see the free shows.
- Guide to Using the AIFF Website - AIFF added Festival Genius to their website last year. It adds a lot, but there are also some tricks.
- AIFF 2011: "You Wanna Touch My Penis?" Asks Best Feature Director Discussion of the Golden Oosikar Award and where the name comes from. And a picture.
- AIFF 2011: The Awards List - This has the list of all the awards all in one place.
- AIFF 2011 - Inuk Wins Audience Award for Feature - Plays Tonight at 7pm
- AIFF 2011: Awards - Features - Live Blogging
- AIFF 2011: Live Blogging - The Awards - DocumentariesThese are jury awards, not audience choice awards.
- AIFFF 2011: Audience Awards Feature and Documentary
- AIFF 2011:Snowdance Awards
- AIFF 2011: Awards - Super Shorts
- AIFF 2011: Awards Shorts
- AIFF 2011: Awards Ceremony Started - Animation Awards>
- AIFF 2011: Awards Gala Part 2 - Still Chatting - More pics of people there.
- AIFF 2011: The Awards - Eating and Chatting So Far - Pics of Inuk crew, The Dead Inside director (Travis Betz) with The Wedding Party Director (Amanda Jane
MOVIES - Posts on movies - as I post about movies I'll put links here so you can find them more easily than scrolling through the blog. For all the posts for this year's festival in reverse chronological order use the AIFF 2011 label. Or look in the November and December blog archive (column on the right) for posts that begin with AIFF 2011.
Features and Documentaries:
- From Combat Girls [Kriegerin] to An African Election - The Anchorage International Film Festival 2011, First Peek This post highlights the films in competition in the feature and documentary categories.
- Inuk - post from opening night
- The Corridor and Amigo - a quick look at the horror movie and the John Sayles movie.
- AIFF 2011: How Could A Zombie Musical That Cost "a lot less than $50K" Win Best Feature? I discuss my criteria for evaluating a film festival movie and apply them to The Dead Inside.
- AIFF 2011: No Love Tonight, But Meet You at Apartment in Athens at 7:15pm Some background on the movie Apartment in Athens.
- AIFF 2011: An Apartment in Athens or Love You To Death?
- Animated Films in Competition - this list is more fleshed out with some video and information about each of the films in competition.
- Busy Sunday - mentions This Is Not Real and Attack of the Killer Mutant Chickens
- Busy Sunday - This post mentions a number of films: The Flood (Mabul), In the Shadow, Stan Lee Story, This Is Not Real, Apartment in Athens, Attack of the Killer Mutant Chickens
- Tibet, A Polish Hedgehog, and an Australian "Greencard" Wedding - Mentions Mila's Journey, George the Hedgehog, and The Wedding Party.
- Busy Thursday, Lots of Interesting Choices - High Sierra: Journey on the John Muir Trail, Lesson Plan, Inuk, An Ordinary Family, Casserole Club, The Corridor, and Snow Dance Shorts.
FILM MAKERS - Video posts of film makers.
- David Andrade, Director, Nuts For Peanuts (animated film in competition) - Skype interview from San Diego.
- Nayeem Mahbub, Director, Attack of the Killer Mutant Chickens (animated film in competition) - Skype interview from Nairobi
- Yuki Ellias, Writer, Actor, Love You To Death (feature, Mumbai, India) - brief interview at Bear Tooth Opening Night of the Festival. It's Sunday 2:30 pm
- In The Shadow's Jorge Sermini and Nicole Elmore (feature, Puerto Rico) - they talk about their film opening night. It's Sunday 2:30 pm Alaska Experience Theater.
- Inuk's Michael Magidson, Ole Jørgen Hammeken, and Jean-Michel Huctin (feature in Competition, Greenland)
- Gergely Wootsch - Creator of the animated film This Is Not Real
- Amanda Jane - Director etc. The Wedding Party
- Christian Potenza and Sean Cisterna - Moon Point actor/co-producer and director
- LA Film Makers With Anchorage Based Movie - Jill Jones and Brent Yontz - Tuesday night at the Bear Tooth the film makers talk about Nanuq.
- Garrett Swan - Talks about The Casserole Club including how actors deal with sex scenes.
- Greg Hamilton - Writer, director In Movement:One Man Joins An Uprising talks about his film about a skier relearning to ski after breaking his back. This film got accepted to Sundance last week.
- Travis Betz and Richard Cunningham - Videos of Travis - The Dead Inside - and Richard - Year Zero - made at the workshops each gave Saturday Dec. 10. Year Zero is my favorite film of the whole festival. It's an incredible visual and audio feast.
- Skype Chat from Holland with Best Animation Winners - Ru and Max are delightful sharing insights about being full time animators.
- Peter Pasyk's Dueling Posters in The Pole - Peter put up with my camera in his face and my box of questions already used up.
- Landscape With Duck's Filmmakers Patrick and Michele Neary - They were having a good time in Anchorage.
THE AUDIENCE SPEAKS - Videos with audience members on the films and festival
- Dream Factory - Strange World Without Dreams in Israeli Film Andante - Video of audience comments as the come out of this surrealistic future film.
- An Ordinary Family - Audience Reaction - as they walked out of the theater.
- Lesson Plan Worked for the Audience - Lesson Plan is a documentary that didn't make it into competition, but it was for me, and the audience, it was a powerful film. It's my favorite documentary so far.
BACKGROUND POSTS - Behind the scenes -
- Anchorage Film Festival Begins Today - What's New - Looks at some of the bigger changes I've noticed since last year, like much reduced use of Bear Tooth.
2010 AIFF Tab- 2010 was the first year I used a tab on top. It gives more of an overview of my posts about the festival with links. You can also link to all the posts labeled Anchorage International Film Festival 2010 which will give you all the posts from most recent to the oldest.
2010 AIFF - Overview of 2010 Festival and posts
2009 AIFF - posts from the 2009 Festival
THAT OTHER SO CALLED ALASKA FILM EVENT
Comparing the ANCHORAGE and ALASKA International Film Festivals - Real Festival? Scam?