Tuesday, June 17, 2008

David Shurtleff Making a Change


I hear that David Shurtleff is moving from the Alaska Public Radio Network to the [whoops, just got told I have the wrong Be..]Begich Berkowitz campaign. I can hear people saying right now - see I told you the media was liberal. Of course, one reporter doesn't make the media liberal. As if there were no Dan Fagans or Rick Rydells. But it isn't the on air staff that decides the slant of the news. Ultimately it's the owners and they are, by definition, business people. But, it's true APRN is not for profit, but they still have to make their budget.

In any case, David knows how to separate his personal biases from the facts of a story.
He was one of the journalists who was so helpful to me when I started blogging the trials last year. He would share information and notes, just did things to make me feel welcome. The rest of the journalists did the same. Just recently at the Democratic convention, he emailed me his recordings of the speeches of Diane Benson and Ethan Berkowitz so I could post them from the convention. He would be taking bits out for his broadcast, but otherwise didn't need the whole speeches and he thought they should be available right away.

I do have to say that I was constantly amazed at how he could walk out of the courtroom and somehow pull together the key points into a clear, concise, fluid report - no pauses, or filler uhs. Don't know how he does it. I'm going to miss hearing him on the air.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, David! Your reporting will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some admiration for those professionals who make the jump from journalism to politics. It has to take quite a bit of commitment -- once your political biases are exposed, it's going to be difficult to go back to media should politics not work out. Of course, sometimes it's disappointing to find out that a journalist you like actually espouses ideological views you can't stomach... I liked Dan Fagan when he was an affable-seeming KTUU reporter, back before he became an ill-tempered bloviator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.