Sunday, November 04, 2018

Why I Fear Dunleavy As Governor - What I Saw In 2015

I'm excerpting the title and beginning of a post I published May 22, 2015.  It's about how Dunleavy, during a special session, tried to hijack a bill to required age appropriate lessons on child molesters in Alaska schools.  It's a classic tale of abuse of power.

"TO DUNLEAVY" (v) "When a situation unexpectedly comes along giving you the power to help another in need, you instead try to extract some gain for yourself while harming the other." 

 EXAMPLE:  "He dunleavied HB 44." As in when you find yourself as the chair of a committee in a special session with just one bill with strong bi-partisan support, and instead of quickly passing the bill, you water down its key provisions, and then add a lot of unrelated amendments that you had tried to pass in the regular session, but couldn't.


This is not how I intended to begin this post, but it seems to encapsulate a lot of analysis in a few words.  Below is the whole post which will show how I got to this point. "  

Here's the link.  

You can read the detailed analysis of what he tried to do to the bill - including banning Planned Parenthood from doing any education work in schools.  

John Creed, who saw Dunleavy close up as teacher, principal, and Superintendent in Kotzebue, has his own take on  Dunleavy's values.   Here's an excerpt:

"I genuinely enjoyed his company," said Jans. "We hung out when I was passing through Kotzebue. As he moved up the food chain, though, he became increasingly authoritarian, easy to anger, and generally inaccessible on a personal level. An aloof, bullying side in him emerged, which I witnessed and heard many others comment on. Not to mention he got strange at times in a way I can't quite quantify but made me uncomfortable about him in a leadership role."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.