Thursday, September 27, 2018

Just Spent My First Daylight Hours In Maui Watching Senate Hearings, But Reminded That Universe Will Continue Unaffected

We got in late last night.  I didn't set an alarm for this morning, but I woke up early enough to only miss the first half hour - much of which was repeated during breaks.

But as important as the Kavanaugh hearings may be to many of us, really, the universe isn't paying any attention.  My evidence?



We finally took off about 7pm last night from Seattle as the sun was starting to set.  We were headed southwest to Maui so we had a sunset backdrop for a long way.  The picture above - well it really looked like that from my window seat.  The sun and the rest of the universe are oblivious to what we do here on earth.







There’s still a fiery glow along the horizon at 9pm Seattle time (7pm Hawaii time).



These are just a few examples of the changing sunset over the first two or more hours of our flight, though the first picture is by far my favorite.


And as I look out over the cloud covered ocean, the sky and the water seem unaffected by the Senate Hearings as well.



Though here on earth, the activities of humans are affecting the oceans and the wind patterns and how the clouds move and how long they hang over places while they drop their load of water back to earth.  Who gets on the Supreme Court and the decisions they make about climate change, about regulations on carbon, and about various things - like campaign financing and gerrymandering - that affect who gets elected to Congress will make a difference on our planet.

2 comments:

  1. And at the end of this day, one is left asking, "Whose side am I on?" Our camps settle to sleep by the field that is joined.

    We sharpen our words as the sun sets. It's not the image I expected to feel, trying to sleep and cannot.

    What has Trump wrought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One other thing. I am so glad I'm not connected to social media now. Watching the live stream of this hearing, reading across a wide media spectrum has been helpful. Selectively reading readers comments in reply to these accounts gives me vox populi without suffering full brain contact of twitter feeds and earnest FB posts.

    Finally, like you, I am in another place and quite able to see dawn's light differently. No, all is not right with the world, but in my corner of it, I have peace, too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.