Saturday, February 01, 2014

"I want to dance with you in the worst way"

I didn't get my last book club book (Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals) until the day after the discussion, but I started it anyway, at least until I get a copy of the next one.   As I understand it so far, the book is about the potential Republican candidates for president in 1860, who Lincoln brought together in his cabinet.

I don't have much to tell you yet - and I'm not sure how far I'll get in this huge book - but I thought this anecdote was cute.
"The story is told of Lincoln's first meeting with Mary at a festive party.  Captivated by her lively manner, intelligent face, clear blue eyes, and dimpled smile, Lincoln reportedly said, "I want to dance with you in the worst way."  And Mary laughingly told her cousin later that night, 'he certainly did.'" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.